Fan

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:28 pm

Well I have some trouble and need help or advice. My cub was making some noise and when I got home from plowing snow I checked on it and found the fan was loose. The next day I was going to tighten it and found that one of the brackets that hold it were broken. When I took it apart it looked as if it was cracked for while and just broke. How much trouble am I going to get into if I change it myself? I am just a back yard mechanic, so am I going to be able to do it myself or will I need profesional help? And what is the name of the front plate that is broken?
Thanks for any and all help.
Rosco :oops:

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:42 pm

Rosco, these things were built for backyard mechanics. You can do this. You need a crankcase front cover. Sometimes referred to a front engine cover. Take your time, be careful and have fun.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:58 pm

check ebay for one theyre always parting out cubs on there.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:02 pm

Sounds like one of the forks broke that holds the fan assy in place. you need to remove the hood, grill, doglegs, radiator and crankpulley to get to it.
the only somewhat difficult part is the crankpulley, as it's pressed in place. there are several threads that deal with this part on this forum.

otherwise, the 'quick' repair is to braze the broken fork right as it's assembled on the tractor. i have one cub that works just fine with a braze like that. but it's not intended to be restored.

good luck, and all he help ou might need is right here. these guys are the best

Braze

Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:11 pm

You said this can be brazed, if this is true and will hold that is for me, I am not restoring this tractor, just using it.
Thanks,
rosco :?:

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:14 pm

Roscoe
If you decide to replace the front plate
I have a one .
E-mail or P. M . me off the board

Thanks Ralph

Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:16 am

Rosco

Mine was broken and welded back together. When I took it apart the washers were bent and cuped out to where it was hard to get a wrench on it. I got some grade 8 washers from TSC and when I get that far I am going to wut it together with those

good luck :)

Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:40 pm

Washers? If there were washers under the nut, throw them away. The nut should fit in the slot formed by the 2 forks to keep it from turning. Tighten it by turning the shaft.

Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:59 pm

Thats right listen to Jim. The shaft is what you turn. the head of the nut fits between the forks.

Bill.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:36 pm

Thanks Jim @ Bill

Yep there was one washer with the sides cut to fit in the slot and another washer over that. And the washer on the shaft was bowed (punched) out to where I couldn't get a wrench onto it.

Thats the great thing about this site. You get thing fixed that you didn't know were wrong :!: