Carb 'drip hole filler' and screen removal

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:55 pm

Just that I hate to break things when I am supposed to be fixing them, so I will ask before I do.

Got the carb down to the castings except the 'drip hole filler' which is the small washer looking thing on the bottom of the fuel bowl. There are four indentations in the casting that seem to hold it in place. Can I safely just punch it out?? The reassembly instructions tell you to use a center punch to 'stake over' the fuel bowl metal and not to expand the plug. Could be possible that someone missed that and expanded it, or it was done that way at the factory??

Similar question on the inlet screen, except there is no easy way to punch it out.

Now I will go review Lurker Carl's notes .

Thanks!

Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:04 pm

BW,

Get a small punch and put it in the weep hole. Then pry it out. Use a punch to dimple it after replacement ( I use an auto center punch). For the screen I use a scribe to get it out.

Hope this helps 8)

Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:36 am

That was quick!! Thanks Donny..

Figured tonight was a good time to do the carb as it is cold (again or still) and seemed to be a good reason to get the kitchen table cleaned up so I would have a decent spot to work.

Getting late, so I will be right on it tomorrow.

I did get the IH kit, which is awesome, and the Kohler kit with the Viton (?) needle as recommended by Lurker Carl and Ken at C&G.

Took a poke around the Carls carb stuff on Rudi's Cub site and felt the sudden urge to go look at how the top and bottom mate up..... exactly like his 'before' pictures. Possibly the gasket is so thick that it invites people to overtighten the screws??

So I guess I need to true up the top before I put it back together. Glad I decided to look through his stuff again, better to do it right now!

Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:33 am

All better ... sheet rock screw did the trick.