1960 Low-Boy

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:52 pm

1960 model Low-Boy s/n 12977 J What makes a Rockford clutch a special feature? Should this tractor be red or yellow? Has some of both colors on it.

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:27 pm

Rockford clutch is not a special feature. they just marked the difference so a service man knew what was there before disassembling. As for as color, I don't know.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:04 am

From looking at numbers and Ken Updikes book, I would say your tractor was probably yellow when new. Kens book says that IH changed the paint color on the Lo-Boy from red to yellow on March 31, 1960.

From the serial number list, your tractor is #606 of 1532 built for the year. IF that total was divided evenly through the year, that is 383 tractors per quarter, or every 3 months. That would have your tractor being built closer to mid year than in the 1 st Qtr., but this is only a guess . The only sure way is for someone to list the monthly production records/numbers for the Cubs and Lo-Boys

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:07 pm

Mine is serial # 12546 and it came red from the factory.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:50 pm

Everyone, Thanks for the info.

Paul looks like I had a typo on the S/N it is 12997 instead of 12977. I would think this would push it futher into the years production and more
likely to be yellow? But the yellow paint is on top of the red? May have to look even closer, maybe there's more yellow under the red too!

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:31 pm

I remember someone on the board saying that there was a time frame that "Red" or "Yellow" could be ordered by the dealers at the buyer's preference. This would make "color by serial number" almost un-knowable without records for the time frame the change was made as colors could have been intermittent. I am completely ignorant on this particular subject, so just throwing this out for debate ..... :?

Maybe Jim Becker could shed some light on this ........ :)

Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:11 pm

Lo-Boys number 12997 and 12977 were both made in April '60. And yes, nearly any Cub should be red or yellow. Here is a picture from the McCormick archives, taken in 1948. There are 3 yellow Cubs in the picture as well as a whole lot of red ones. Picture resolution is limited, so you may have to take my word for it. The yellow ones are in the first "i" of the watermark.

http://images.wisconsinhistory.org/whi_images_new/700003050096/0305001759-l.jpg
Last edited by Jim Becker on Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:41 pm

no picture.

Jim musta

Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:46 pm

left it at the convention. Either that, or it is still packed in his travel vehicle.

Rick :)

Welcome back Jim!

Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:54 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:no picture.

You sure? A link was there a minute ago.

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:01 pm

Looks like the Red Sea to me. Great picture :!: Wish it was my house :lol: 8)

It is magic!

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:09 pm

That link wasn't there a short bit ago. I looked and didn't see it either. Must be one of those noptical illsionuments. But, I can see the link now.

Rick

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:12 pm

You should have seen it in about a 20x24 print. I should have gotten a copy but I didn't get one early and by Saturday afternoon the WHS vendor table had been packed up and vacated.

In a big print, you could actually see the yellow spot was 3 Cubs. You could also see that the Cs on the front rail car all had precleaners on the intakes and the third car was entirely International (Industrial) Super As.

Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:39 pm

Great picture Jim, Thanks.
I think my Dad is going to go with Red, he likes it much better. He has decided the yellow must have come from a school bus and was probably put on with a brush, which was not all bad it did a good job protecting the metal.

Re: It is magic!

Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:52 pm

SundaySailor wrote:That link wasn't there a short bit ago. I looked and didn't see it either. Must be one of those noptical illsionuments. But, I can see the link now.

Rick

At 2:54 I said "link was there a minute ago". I didn't say it was there at 2:11. :wink: