This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub emblems go for BIG money on EBay

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Cub emblems go for BIG money on EBay

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:16 pm

Check these out!
Pair chrome 'International Cub' now at $227!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 39794&rd=1
Pair of round Cub Lo-Boy emblems at $103
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 42106&rd=1
Set of Farmall Cub emblems interesting to see what they end up at.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 41149&rd=1

Now I don't feel too bad about paying $25 for a hood ornament (who will notice??)

I guess folks would be advised to lock up the emblems!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:41 pm

The first pair of emblems are for the early lo-boys. They are very hard to find and are not reproduced. They will fetch a fine price :shock: .
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:25 pm

And the first item in this line up sold for $495.00, Well you can BET the farm I will never have me a set of these emblems. If I do, ya can sure darn well believe Mary will have me committed or in DIVORCE court.

AND WITH GOOD REASON!

John Niekamp
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:27 pm

I wonder if Jamie intends to re-sell them through the salvage operation??
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:36 pm

Well BD, I had NO CLUE these things were worth SO much money, I guess she or they must have people that will pay even more for em. I know these are a hard to find items.

Kinda makes me think maybe I should make a mold and cast some for reproductions. Do you know what they are made of? I wonder what copy-write laws one would come up against?

John
Machinist

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:37 pm

Probably will use them as a pattern to get some reproductions made.
Young man for work, old man for advice

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:52 pm

Jim, you may be right, May be able to get some for mine then. Be nice if that's what they have in mind.

Heck, I would send them my verticle "LO-BOY" emblems to get some made off of them too, lol Mine are stainless steel, but even some magnesium ones would work too.

John
Machinist

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:14 pm

jniekamp wrote:Well BD, I had NO CLUE these things were worth SO much money, I guess she or they must have people that will pay even more for em. I know these are a hard to find items.

Kinda makes me think maybe I should make a mold and cast some for reproductions. Do you know what they are made of? I wonder what copy-write laws one would come up against?

John

John,

My '57 came as the remains of a parts tractor. It had donated its' emblems and fast hitch for another restoration.

My first plan was to use vinyl decals, so I had blasted the complete hood and fiberglassed the holes from the back side.

Plan #2... I had arranged to borrow a set of stainless emblems and have them cast in brass... and then polishing them! (I had sold my foundry equipment). I kinda liked the idea and think it would have looked special.

By now I'm on plan #3. I've since found a correct junk hood for sale complete with all emblems and a set of lights and did the necessary body work to save the hood. (I nearly forgot the repairable grille) I got it all from a post on this list or ATIS for $250.

I wish I had an after picture of this hood.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:41 am

Yeah George, I remember seeing this picture (top) before and even have it saved in my "Cub-files" and even printed it off and have it in my Cub folder to show around to differnt folks.

I was kind of joking with making some molds, but I have often wondered, if that would be an alternative.

However, I am kind of kicking this idea around too George. Find an emblem and then take and use the CNC laser or wire EDM and make one for the sample, maybe using some stainless steel plate. I think this might faster and a whole lot cheaper than making molds and would look good too. The more I get thinking about it, making molds, that would take some time and I don't know how or if there is that much call for them., just for maybe a couple of sets.

What do you think?

Looking at your second picture, this must be a common place for these hoods to crack.

Hey George, it sounds like ALL of us have had at least half dozen options and/or ideas, just that I never seem to get ANY of them even started, LOL!

John
Last edited by John Niekamp on Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Machinist

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:56 am

I think you are on to something John.
Cast sounded like a good idea, but you still need them chromed. Even then, I don't think the plating is like it was in the old days.
Cut out of stainless would be a better alternative.

Trouble is that neither would look quite like the original. But they may look better!.

I guess I should be happy that mine only needs stickers that I can get from a dealer for $7.25 each.! (got two sitting right here)
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:35 am

Well the hard part of the lettering would be anything with a center in the letter, like an "A" "B" and so on. this would have to probably be done in a mill with the smallest endmill possible, But got that covered too, got some endmills that are .010" in diameter, LOL just a little over kill.

I would have to actually see what one looks like to see what it would detail. AND like anything, how much time one is willing to devote to a feat like this. I need more of a reason than just saying, I can. Know what I mean?

Ever wonder what ever happend to the original molds from IH?
Machinist

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:07 am

I was kind of joking with making some molds, but I have often wondered, if that would be an alternative.

However, I am kind of kicking this idea around too George. Find an emblem and then take and use the CNC laser or wire EDM and make one for the sample, maybe using some stainless steel plate. I think this might faster and a whole lot cheaper than making molds and would look good too. The more I get thinking about it, making molds, that would take some time and I don't know how or if there is that much call for them., just for maybe a couple of sets.

What do you think?

John,

I was thinking much simpler. Green sand. The letters are pressed with a bevelled edge giving them a little depth. I would increase the depth and eliminate the hollow back by adding sheet wax. Steel mounting pins (nails?) could easily be added to the cope before pouring. Feeding such a long narrow casting would be helped by the added thickness and would require many feeders and vents, and a generous riser. The mold could be rammed and ready to pour in just a few minutes... once the system was set up. Pairs could be made in a common flask... maybe even including the McCormick emblems.

On balance, I think casting would be much easier to do without a lot of fancy equipment. For me, on the old M Bridgeport, milling would be an endless job.
George Willer

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:46 am

I am going to try and cast my own at school one of these days whaen time permitts. But I was talking to the man at OEM last summer and he said he could order them cheap. I think $120 a set. He said there is a man in Michigan that makes them I think. You'll have to call and talk to them for sure.

I have several McCormick emblems at home. I think I have 6 extra and two sets of the Farmall Crome. I holding on to them because it seems like when ever I sell something I end up needing it later and if I keep on buying that particular series of tractor I might need them later.

I bought my first set for $125 from a man in NC. And my second set came with a hood and all cost me a total of $225. I think I made out well.

Have a good one.
Jason

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:55 pm

Well George there isn't a thing wrong with the "M" series Bridgeports, we have several left and they get used just about every day. They are good mills to this day. Must be, because everyone else copied Bridgeport's design over the years. BUT I agree, doing something like this in one would a forever ongoing task. CNC would be the only way to go. I wish I was like you and have more knowledge in the casting and foundry process.

Well in any event, unless I were find me even a partial emblem, it's not going to place any time soon, LOL

Mine is a 55 Lo-Boy and if I haven't got my wires crossed, The LoBoy's had "INTERNATIONAL CUB" like in this auction and nothing else. Since I don't care if it just 100 percent like it was when it came out, either one would work for me. Actually I like the "FARMALL CUB" better, but I would take anything and I will even put on the "McCormick" emblem on it too, might as well use those two holes for something, right? Hey maybe I could find one of each, It's a Farmall Cub on the left side and it's an International Cub on the right, lol!

Most folks probably wouldn't give it a second thought, unless they know their tractor history, and bring it to your attention. I normanlly let them go in one ear and right out the other. I guess we could call these guys "Cub Cops" I have found these types of idiots in just about every hobby and projects I have ever done. Unless I am asked you won't find me nit-picking anything that anyone has done, because I know they are probably like myself and have a lot of time and money and are proud of their outcome and most likely they already aware if something isn't correct.

John
Machinist

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:55 pm

Mine is a 55 Lo-Boy and if I haven't got my wires crossed, The LoBoy's had "INTERNATIONAL CUB" like in this auction and nothing else. Since I don't care if it just 100 percent like it was when it came out, either one would work for me. Actually I like the "FARMALL CUB" better, but I would take anything and I will even put on the "McCormick" emblem on it too, might as well use those two holes for something, right? Hey maybe I could find one of each, It's a Farmall Cub on the left side and it's an International Cub on the right, lol!

Most folks probably wouldn't give it a second thought, unless they know their tractor history, and bring it to your attention. I normanlly let them go in one ear and right out the other. I guess we could call these guys "Cub Cops" I have found these types of idiots in just about every hobby and projects I have ever done. Unless I am asked you won't find me nit-picking anything that anyone has done, because I know they are probably like myself and have a lot of time and money and are proud of their outcome and most likely they already aware if something isn't correct.

John

John,

You don't have your wires crossed. Those "INTERNATIONAL CUB" emblems are like hen's teeth. I know of others that are also missing their emblems. We were lucky... the late '58 Lo-Boy showed up here with a complete set of near perfect emblems. They are the rectangular pressed aluminum type. Never mind that they had been painted over!

I don't like nit picking either, but will, when asked, and if I know I'll say what the original was. The owner can and should make the final choice.

I don't like to see Cubs with nothing on the hoods... they look nekkid to me. Having something there is more important than being politically correct. That's why I was willing to substitute decals for the missing emblems on the '58 before I found the right ones reasonably.
George Willer

Return to “Farmall Cub”