Towing a Cub home

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:54 pm

Hello,

Has anyone ever towed a Cub using a Uhaul trailer? They have a 2-axle auto transport that is more than enough but it is open in the middle and I am wondering if the Cub has enough minimum width. Of course, this is one spec that UHaul can't give me.

They also have a great 5X9 ramp trailer (like a small landscape trailer) however the max inside dimension is 110" x 57" and the max load is 1650lbs.
Both of these figures are cutting it close b/c the cub I am looking at has cultivators mounted (added weight and length).

Any experience or opinions on how to get a Cub home is appreciated. I have a pretty big SUV with a Class 3 hitch. Thank you, Jim

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:03 pm

I would think the u-haul 5x9 is sufficient, provided the cub has no wheel weights. The data book I have lists the cub at 1430 lbs. average field weight (unclear to me if this includes weights). You can always remove the bulk of the cultivators and put them in the back of the SUV.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:26 pm

A lot of it depends on how far you are going and what you are towing with. The car transporter will be more stable on a long haul, and the Cub will probbly fit, if not lay a couloe boards down,

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:59 pm

Hey jmageras
Where are you in CT?? I'm over in Farmington.

Towing a Cub Home

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:16 pm

Jim,
I used a 6'x12' U-Haul trailer to haul my cub between Virginia and Pennsylvania. If I remember right the max weight for the trailer was 2900 lbs. The trip was smooth with no problems.
Gunner

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:49 pm

Eric wrote:Hey jmageras
Where are you in CT?? I'm over in Farmington.

I'm down in the Stamford area, in Darien.

Re: Towing a Cub Home

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Gunner wrote:Jim,
I used a 6'x12' U-Haul trailer to haul my cub between Virginia and Pennsylvania...Gunner

So it can be done with this trailer. What did you do for ramps? Also, how did you secure the cub (tie down). Thanks.

Thank you

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:54 pm

Thanks to all of you for the prompt responses. Tell me, what are couloe boards? Jim

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:59 pm

I think John meant to say "a couple of boards" 8)

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:00 pm

I believe that's a typo and was supposed to be a couple of boards.

John has fat finger syndrome.... :D :D :D

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:02 pm

I got the checkers this time Bigdog :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Couple of boards

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:12 pm

That's funny and obvious. I should have caught that. Thanks!

U-Haul Auto transporter trailer

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:25 pm

I used one this fall to bring the Cub 75 miles back to a heated garage to work on it. If the wheels are adjusted for maximun width, it fits great. I measured trailer and Cub several times. Trailer comes with pull out drive on ramps and all you have to do is block the back up when you drive on.Price including tax here was $62.05/24 hours.

Re: Thank you

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:53 pm

jmageras wrote:Tell me, what are couloe boards? Jim
Those are special boards for keeping cubs from falling through the open floor of a Haul trailer. :lol:

Towing a Cub Home

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:39 pm

Jim,
In answer to your question, I used regular old car ramps that you can get at most auto stores. The tail gate of the trailer rested on the top of the ramps and I drove the cub right up on the trailer. I chained it to the trailer. The rails on the sides of the trailer worked well to secure it.
Gunner