Changing transmission 'lubricant' -- was gear lube

Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:51 am

The transmission had 90 weight oil in it. Also, it was also over filled.
I have always been a leery of changing oil types/viscosity on a car engine..

I have 2 gallons of hy-tran ready to go, but before I use that wanted to know what ya'll think

Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:55 am

Flush it with a little kerosene and use the hy-tran. As long as it's not over-filled, leaking seals should not be a problem.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:08 am

Hytran is thinner than 90 weight, and if you do have a leaky seal it will leak worse. Also, transmission only holds 3 1/2 pints. There is a level plug on the left side. I usually go to Walmart or Autozonefor mine. and get 2 of the long spout quarts of 90 weight.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:16 am

My mech. (who knows old iron in general) said to use 140 wt. The heavier oil will help compensate a bit for wear, he called it better "cushion" between the gears. As John said hytran, though very good oil, will make a leak worse.
Al

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:02 pm

Don't believe there are any leaks.... but they sure will show with new paint!

Hard to tell if the overfill is merely a mistake. I don't think the previous owner was trying to hide anything, or even used the tractor at all (had mostly JD's and bought it at an auction).

I have the same question on the final drives too. I will be taking the belly mower off and pulling. the pans soon.

My preference would be to use HyTran everywhere it is allowed/called for. Especially since I have 2 gallons. Certainly gear oil is cheaper.

Hey Buzzard Wing.....

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:27 pm

Your tractor is as pretty as it needs to be. So, why dontcha send all that paint you don't need down my way, and I'll put it on MY tractor. 8) That would be way cool, and you wouldn't have to work so hard. I'm just trying my best to think of you.

;) Rick

Oil

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:41 pm

My opinion is to stick with the 90 weight. Our Cub was family bought new in 1949 and has had a diet of 90wt in the transmission and finals all its life with no problems.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:53 pm

One more note, your transmission will be noisier with Hytran. also 85-140 is acceptable for using in place of 90w.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:29 pm

Sorry Sunday Sailor.... but my paint is yeller and white it just wouldn't look right on your Cub, besides that I am getting pretty close to being done.

Thanks for the wisdom all. It sounds like a personal preference.

Should I flush it with kero if I use gear oil?

Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:16 pm

Flushing won't hurt anything, but if it's not all gunked up it's not needed.