This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

working on 49 today

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dennis M.
10+ Years
10+ Years

working on 49 today

Postby Dennis M. » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:55 pm

I had a 49 follow me home last week and pulled it into the shop today to try and get it started. Not much luck :cry: While mulling over my options I started to clean the toolbox and found the usual bolts, nuts, nails, etc, but also found three "Church Keys". Got me to wondering if the PO used them while operating the Cub! Does anyone remember when pop tops first were introduced? Had to stop working and ponder this for awhile. 8)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Soldner » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:03 pm

One of the first things my girlfriend and i did when we started restoring her grandpa's '48 was to go through the tool box, and i found many crazy things, including many nails, a hammer with a broken handle, and a bunch of bolts, and some other odds and ends. Now to your question of pop tops.. It was way before my time, but i called my grandpa, and he said sometime in the early sixity's. So i looked online, and i found Schlitz introduced the pop top in March of 1963.. So that pop top is probably double my age!!! :D

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:06 pm

Dennis, I don't know how old you are so you might not remember, a qt of oil came in metal cans. Now that does not mean he did not use it for his beer or coke.

Mike
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:58 am

I'll take you boys back a few years when oil was sold in quart glass bottles with a metal spout :D . You could get them refilled at your neighborhood gas station. They even had metal carrying baskets (like the old millk bottle carriers)...that held 6 or 9 glass oil bottles :wink: .

Before Schlitz introduced the FIRST Pop-Top beer can...beer cans were opened with church keys. Most brewers sold their beer in steel, cone-shaped cans in the early 1950's with bottle caps on, so you could open it like a soda bottle :D !

Of course...Gas was 15 cents a gallon too :cry: !
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:24 am

I don't know if I still have it, but I used to have a deal for opening the metal cans. It looked like an overgrown caulking gun with a funnel built into the end. You dropped a can in it and squeezed the handle. It pushed the can down onto the opener and at the same time punctured a vent in the back end. Worked great for metal cans, but not worth a hoot for the paper ones.

Also remember several years ago one of the oil companies using the pitch "Real men don't use plastic oil cans". Guess there must not be any "Real Men" left.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:43 am

Would you believe that I have a couple of steel cans of oil still setting around the shop?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:09 pm

I'm a little younger than you fellows, but I too have a few metal quart cans full of oil. 30w I think. They're Texaco cans
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:13 pm

One of my after school jobs in high school was working at Star Phillips 66. First thing on the agenda every afternoon was to fill all the empty glass oil jars so everything out by the pumps was full. They looked 8) . It was fun filling them with the hand pump :)
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Return to “Farmall Cub”