This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

transmission question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Garvin Gatewood
10+ Years
10+ Years

transmission question

Postby Garvin Gatewood » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:27 pm

After having my new toy for 2 weeks, I started to work on it. I put a new o-ring on the control valve of the hydraulics and a new gasket on the top of the transmission. That was when I noticed that it was cruddy inside so I decided to service it. I found that the transmission has some gun grease in it. Hopefully this was put in because the Hi-tran (guessing)was leaking out of the front seal of the transmission. I don't know that this is the case, but I am guessing. I am planning on putting 90 weight gear lube in it. Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to clean it up and get all that grease out.
Eight Cubs-finally got a '57.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby jim turner » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Garvin, I cleaned one with kerosene or diesel just filled it up and then I put a air hose inside with jus enough ari too circulate it good for a hour or so then drained it all out.
Jim Turner

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:56 pm

Garvin,

I've had several transmissions that needed the sludge cleaned out of them. I believe that most generally you'll hear to put some kerosene in the tranny and run the cub around ae bit. Then, drain that all out. If needed, add more kerosene and run it around a bit more. Just continue that process until it's clean.

If heavy sludge is built on the bottom of the tranny....or in the corners, you may need to get in there with a small dowel rod or even a hanger to loosen the sludge up enough to allow the kerosene to dissolve it.

Then of course refill with new 90 weight. Good luck!
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:47 pm

Some grease will accumulate in the bottom from greasing the PTO bearing.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:21 pm

I always wondered aobut sticking a pressure washer wand down in the tranny and going to work. Sure would be messy. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Garvin Gatewood
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garvin Gatewood » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:30 pm

Jim, I think you were right. I cleaned a lot of the grease out, then put kerosene in it and drove it a little ways. Then I refilled it with 90 weight gear lube and drove it some more. I have left it to drain tonight.
Eight Cubs-finally got a '57.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:17 pm

I always wondered aobut sticking a pressure washer wand down in the tranny and going to work. Sure would be messy.

John, I did just that last summer on the H. Boy you are right!! I suited up from head to toe even covered my head and used gogles. Then I went at it for 4hrs with a hotsy. Cleaned up pretty good. I had to do it that way since it was not runnuing at the time and I had tranny work to do. Next time I drain grease I'm going to fill it with kerosene and drive around a bit. I've heard that gets em real clean.

Return to “Farmall Cub”