Re: Battery Cable Size

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:37 pm

The big factor is that you are now dealing with a 12 volt system which reduces current flow by half. Your automotive cables will work fine on a 12 volt system. As far as color goes - typically on a DC circuit red indicates a positive lead and black indicates a negative lead. In reality - the electrons don't care what color the insulation is. I don't rely on cable color to troubleshoot. I follow the wires.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Barnyard wrote:TM Tractor Parts sells 6v cables that are 1 awg, is that big enough?

It looks like it's only 2 AWG.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/2581fp.htm

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:15 pm

indy61 wrote:
Barnyard wrote:TM Tractor Parts sells 6v cables that are 1 awg, is that big enough?

It looks like it's only 2 AWG.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/2581fp.htm

Wow, it sure is.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:36 pm

I would think anything larger than 1 AWG would be hard to route in the original locations.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:02 pm

After reading this discussion I went out and checked my Cub. It has a battery cable purchased specifically for a Cub from the local Case/IH dealer and it is 2 AWG.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Interesting topic, I was curious if using dielectric grease on the farmall electrical system has any benefit.. Thanks

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:28 am

Well, I'll weigh in for what it's worth. Merlin is due for a new main cable from the battery to the starter because the one that came with him is still with him and is UGLY. The thing is that it is actually a 4-Gauge cable. It is what has been on the tractor since before I got it, and it has had no problem turning the engine over. Now, I don't recommend that size cable on anyone else's tractor because it is undersized for the current draw, but if the system is in good shape, it will handle the current.

Mike in La Crosse, WI