Cylinder Head Installation

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:58 pm

How is KW Copper Coat Gasket compound for use on the cylinder head gasket?

Re: Cylinder Head Installation

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:16 am

Spay on Copper Coat, really good stuff and a lot of us use it on the head gaskets.
I use Permatex sealer on the bolt threads since most of them go into the water areas.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:48 am

I agree with Yogi,Copper coat is my favorite coating for the head gasket. A brush top can will work, but I prefer spray can. KW and Permatex are both good. I prefer a Teflon sealant on the bolt threads.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:41 am

Copper coat is by far the best, however I have used aluminum paint many times when I was a poor kid
Boss [just poor no longer a kid] Hog

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:25 am

As stated above, seal bolt threads. After engine has run at operating temperature and cooled back down, re-torque the bolts.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:28 am

Right, Boss, there hasn't always been Copper Coat! Aluminum paint still works! I was installing a Cub head, a few months back, and found my old can of Copper Coat was dead. Not wanting to wait, I got out the aluminum paint and put it together.
By the way, if you use a Fel Pro gasket, don't coat the blue side.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:39 am

Yup, aluminum paint works well the old guy who ran the machine shop here in town would never use anything else on head gaskets

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:29 am

Most head gaskets that I have used come with instructions that recommend soaking in oil for a few minutes then draining for a few minutes prior to installation. I've done that with no issues and I've used the copper coat on gaskets that I didn't soak in oil with no issues. If the gaskets come with instructions, I'd follow the instructions that came with the gaskets, but any of the advise above will work.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:46 am

ricky racer wrote:Most head gaskets that I have used come with instructions that recommend soaking in oil for a few minutes then draining for a few minutes prior to installation. I've done that with no issues and I've used the copper coat on gaskets that I didn't soak in oil with no issues. If the gaskets come with instructions, I'd follow the instructions that came with the gaskets, but any of the advise above will work.

When I was a kid at home dad always coated every gasket used with a thin layer of grease. He always planned on reusing it the next time again.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:52 pm

I just finished putting the head on my 77. I used a Victor-Reninz (metallic) gasket from TM with KW Copper Coat. I used Hylomar on the bolts as a sealant.

There is a tightening sequence in the service manual. I went in 10# increments. Possibly overkill, but I was on the cautious side as it's my first one.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Your good to go!