This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wheel and tire sizes---again

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul Stav
10+ Years
10+ Years

Wheel and tire sizes---again

Postby Paul Stav » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:10 pm

With help from many members , especially Bigdog and Jim Becker, I have determined that I have a set of 8 inch rims, and I do think I can modify them to fit my cub. Did any cubs come out with 8 inch rims? If not, I am looking at buying one new 7 inch rim. Where can I purchase a 7 inch rim and be assured that it will match the original one of my rims that is OK to use? I see rims listed with suppliers, but when they list a cub 7 inch rim, is it made like the original rim, or is it made just to fit a cub?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:23 pm

Aftermarket replacement rims are made to fit a Cub. Typically, they are not identical to the original equipment. They may be different gauge steel, have different style lugs, etc. For instance - original equipment rim is galvanized and aftermarket rim is painted. But they should fit and work well for you if you are not too concerned with it being examined by the correct police.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:37 pm

A lot of "depends on" in this response.

Depending on what type lugs are on the 8 inch rims, you may be able to use them without too much modification. Effective radius of the lug bolt holes may be a little different. You didn't say what was wrong with your current rims, but if typical they are rusty and the lugs are OK. You may be able to buy blank rims and put your old lugs on them. Most were riveted on. If you do that, stay with the same width rims as the lugs may be different on different width rims. Don't recall anyone reporting that he did this.

The original lugs had square recesses to hold the head of the lug bolts. Replacement wheel lugs typically do not. That and the lack of galvanizing make the most obvious difference between the original and replacement rims.

Paul Stav
10+ Years
10+ Years

cub wheel rims

Postby Paul Stav » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:29 pm

To Jim Becker: One of my original wheels is rusted quite badly from the inside, all the way through in a couple of places. The replacement wheels I was thinking about using have completely different mounting holes, etc. My plans were to cut the insides out of the new wheels and replace with the mounting lugs off of the old wheels. In other words, all I would use off of the new wheels would be the outside rims. Again, the new rims are 8 inch, so how would they look being that wide. Did IH ever make the cub with 8 inch rims?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:43 pm

Paul, as Jim stated earlier (in the other thread) 6", 7" & 8" rims were available. So the 8" rims you are looking at should look OK with either 8.3 or 9.5 wide tires.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:34 pm

I think I said the rims were 6, 7 and 8 but intended to say 5, 6 and 7. Those were the rim sizes that would have been used with tires sized 6, 7 and 8. Do I have everybody confused yet?

Look at how the lugs are mounted on your old rims. You should find one side of each lug very close to the center going across the rim. If you can attach the lugs to the replacement rims with the same orientation to the center, you should be OK and be able to use 8.3 or 9.5 tires.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:52 pm

One of my Cubs came with 2 different sized rims... a 7" and an 8", so I know there were 8" rims for Cubs. The mounting lugs were alike, so I assume the 8" one came with a Cub. The Cub spent its' working life in a fleet on a vegetable farm in FL, and they apparently swapped a lot of parts to keep the fleet running.

The rim is now on my Allis C with a 11.2 tire on it. The Cub has replacement rims from Miller tire and tires from Tucker tire.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”