This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

what carb

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

what carb

Postby cowboy » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:41 pm

:||): :roll: Does anyone know which carb is better :!: :!: :?: :?:

We are getting a lot of carb Questions now mine is is bigger better :?: :?:

I had a 65 olds with a 425cid engine and a 2 barrel carb. Changed the manifold put on a four barrel with vacum secondaries. Got that great 4bb burrrp but it was actually slower that 2b becuse it didn't mix as well as the 2b. Untill I went to headers and duel exhust :!: :!:

When I lapped the valves I took the carbide burr and cleaned up the ports. Blended in the intakes and took out the burr and rounded it out. But when its back together I won't know where any difference of power comes from since I am fixing so many problems at once. (carb rebuild, rings, etc.)

So I was wondering if someone who has both or had one and only changed the carb noticed any difference. Rather than its a bigger hammer so it works better. :!: :?: :idea:

:oops: Sorry if I went off but its a me thing :!: :evil: Take it how you want but have fun with it :||): :P :{_}:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:19 am

If you don't change the exhaust how can you get much better. What ever goes in must get out. You have to increase the size of the air cleaner, pipes and manifold as well to make it better. How much better can it get without boring and stroking to go with all that other junk. Sure changing out an old junker with a new carb will make a difference. Don't forget IH changed the intake pipe, put in hemi pistons and changed the stroke to increase power with the zenith.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:56 am

Not to mention the high speed muffler bearings.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:58 am

:idea: I am goint to put 100 mph tape racing stripes on it. Then wach me go :!: :!: Now I'm playing with Power :P :wink:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:05 am

Aha!! You have stumbled across the way IH increased the power of the late Cubs!

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:16 am

Hi Cowboy. I put one of those Zenith carbs on the '49 Cub..Its still on there but I am going to change it back to the IH carb. It runs rich. Got black smoke but no more power. It seems to run ok at full rpm, but the smaller IH carb is better matched to the c60 in my opinion.
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:34 am

Here's a repeated short and sweet synopsis of the Zenith carburetor:

The Zenith updraft series 68 is made of cast aluminum. It is used as original equipment or replacement carburation for engines in the 25-170 CID range and has been in production for over 45 years. Because it is a universal design, it comes in hundreds of configurations to adapt to each specific application (such as manifold flange, throttle bore, jet size, venturi size, etc.) and may have specific features for automotive engines not needed for agricultural or industrial applications.

Because of the configurations available, be leery of used Zeniths unless the seller will guarantee the carburetor came off the machine he is claiming it fits. The mods prevent you from grabbing a Zenith series 68 off a Gravely and mounting it on your Cub unless you're willing to swap out or adapt the parts that will make it fit AND run like it should. To add to the confusion, Zenith uses sequential numbers to identify part sizes without regard to measure, thus #7 throttle bore is 7/8", but a #7 flange is 2 1/4" mounting hole spacing. The same sequential numbering system applies to calibrated fittings such as jets, air bleeds and discharge nozzles. But the venturi is measured in millimeters so a #17 venturi is actually 17 mm.

You may acquire a Zenith the fits the manifold but has components that are not designed for peak performance on a Cub engine. If your throttle plate hits the manifold before opening fully, you probably have the wrong Zenith.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:25 am

Here's another synopsis. It's the job of any carburetor on a normally aspirated engine to add approximately 1 part gasoline (vapor by volume) to 14 parts air. This is regardless of make of carb or size of engine. Size of the venturi in not important until the RPM gets low enough that the mixture doesn't blend well or high enough that it becomes a limiting restriction, as the little Briggs & Stratton 2 HP carburetor on Scruffy showed very well ar CubFest 2004. (the governor limits RPM enough that the small venturi isn't important)

More important than the choice between IH and Zenith is the requirement that either one be in good condition!

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:28 am

I'll drink to that George. You put it better than all the rest of us.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:01 am

8) Ok I got. My best friend keeps going on and on about about wanting the zenith carb for more power but his wife won't give him the money for it :!: :!: So I wanted to find out the real deal about it from those who know. And I to thinking that if it was that much better I would get one 8) Seeing how mine is sitting on the kichen table with the IH carb kit next to it I am real glad to hear that my Ih is just fine.

Jim thats how mine is sopposed to look so I guess that I will just have to replace the racing stripes :!: It was painted red and will stay that way untill I am lucky enough to get an older one. Its crazy how it never got dirty when it was faded red. Rattle caned 2150 red and now you eaven think of cutting the lawn its dusty :P

Return to “Farmall Cub”