This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bent tie rod end

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Bent tie rod end

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:32 am

One of the tie rods on the'59 is bent. Is there an easy way to straighten this out on the tractor without taking it loose from the steering arm :roll:.

Thanks

Mike
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:56 am

Mike with my luck I would only straighten it in place if I wanted to break something else. I am sure there are some who get away with it but I could not.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:59 am

Mike,

It's probably possible if it isn't bent too bad by using a 24" pipe wrench sideways, but you could do more harm than good. I'd take it off to straighten and then follow this procedure to assure correct allignment:

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Articles%20by%20George%20Willer/Aligning%20Front%20Tires/Aligning%20Front%20Tires.htm

Keep in mind that the removal is pretty easy if you don't separate the two rods from the center plate.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Bent tie rod

Postby Eugene » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:26 pm

If only a small kink try clamping a 2x4 (or something very stiff) below the bend and a 1/2 block between the 2x4 and tie rod above the bend. Use a heavy c-clamp at the center of the bend and tighten the clamp.

It's not a big job to remove and replace the tie rod. If anything more than a small bend I would remove the rod to straighten it.

Eugene

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:12 pm

Guess I'll take it apart. I need the practice anyway I might learn sumtin :o

Thanks beacon, George and Eugene.

I remember reading that piece you did on alignment GW and thought it was slick...now I'll try it out. Thanks 8) 8)

Hey Eugene..you been wearin them hearin aids :P My wife says I need to get some too. Then I can not wear mine too :lol:

Happy Easter.

Thanks

Mike
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Hearing Aids

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:12 am

Not wearing them at this time. I only wear them to work or social events. I actually have two sets of hearing aids. One older style and one of new digital/programable type. Something at work sets off the digital hearing aids, also the digital aids set out further in the ear. When I wear them outside the wind sets up a howl. I don't wear them when I could get a jolt and loose them.

I got my first set of hearing aids from the Army. My second and third set came from the VA - they are actually U.S. Government property. I had to sign for them.

If any of you exmilitary have not used the VA you need to get signed up and take advantage of their benefits. I get an annual physical, complete hearing check, hearing aid tune up/repairs/free batteries - no out of pocket expense. Perscription drugs cost $9.00 for a months supply. You can be reimbursed for milage to the VA facilities.

Repeat. Perscription drugs cost $9.00 for a months supply, per perscription.

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:52 am

George,
When I looked at your link for the alignment on the cub,were your front rims primed? I noticed they were green primer. Only reason I was asking was I painted a tractor a few years back and used a green primer of some sorts, the only reason this primer used was because I didn't have to sand it before I painted, It worked realy well and when I wanted to paint my H, I couldn't remember the name of it. Do you have the name of it? If it was primer? I know there are other primers available but this was A high hide type that would cover everything and no sanding. I primed mine with this green primer and painted it 2 months later, I liked this stuff, worked great.
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:17 am

I don't really know what it is, it is what my sandblast guy uses whenever I have him prime something. It resembles the zinc chromate we used on the aircraft restorations... could be. I'm having trouble getting it covered with red. This one has looked like this for several years.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:50 pm

George. That looks something like the "wash prime" we used on a/c carrier stuff.... Started after zinc chromate was thought of as too hazardous!
Ron

Return to “Farmall Cub”