This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First Cub owner Questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
electromech31
10+ Years
10+ Years

First Cub owner Questions

Postby electromech31 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:30 pm

I have several Questions

First: What year is my Cub small plate says 6 27 Q , casting says 251341R1?

Second: What is needed in a 12V conversion, mine still has the generator But I would think that a 12V would be nicer to have (cheaper)?

Third: I need a good manual, wouod a shop manaul be good enough to a motor rebuild (dimensions for bearings) or do I need another?

Im just aching for the first ride.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:01 pm

Fix your 6 volt system and it will work another 50 years. Most likely your battery cables have been replaced with smaller 12 volt cables and cheap ends. If you insist on going to 12 volt, you will need an alternator and 12 volt coil and lights.

Go to Binderbooks.com and get the service manual (GS 1411) and the TC 37 parts manual and you might as well get the owner's manual while you are at it.

Check the link from this site to Rudi's manual site and you will find online versions you can use until yours arrive.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:22 pm

I agree with Big Dog... but will add that the owners manual is very worthwhile to have. It had better drawings of the wireing than elsewhere and it has the invaluable LUBRICATION guide too.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:33 pm

The casting date you gave is June 27th 1947. To find out the year of your tractor look on the s/n plate at the bottom of the steering shaft on the lower rad housing. if the s/n is between 501 and 11347 it's a 47. Also check http://www.binderbooks.com and get a T37F parts manual.
8) welcome to the board 8)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:00 am

Well, I guess it is time for my two cents, although BigDog, BW and Donny have already well covered it. Just a couple links and stuff to add.

First, welcome to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

Ok, so here is the spiel.

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's (both 1 and 2), The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub.

I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the server, it is better is you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only licensed IH publication reprint shop and they have the best quality.

I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, welcome to the Cub Family :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:43 am

I'm with BD. Stay with 6 volt. It is adequate to cover the demands of the tractor and is simple to maintain. Most 6 volt problems come from crappy wires and connections. Generator O/H isnt that bad, I cant remember what mine cost for the C, but it was cheaper than rewiring and buying the alternator and the other associated stuff to go with it. Just my feelings though, I'm sure somebody will dissent.

cherokeewarrior
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cherokeewarrior » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:36 pm

Personally I prefer the 12v conversion as long as it is a clean intallation.Im running a 12v GM SI one wire alternator and the one thing that does not give me trouble on my tractors is the electrical.Its really a matter of taste,but Id hang on to those 12V parts for value.Remember its all about having fun and its YOUR tractor.Brian :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”