This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fan hub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
3AcreCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fan hub

Postby 3AcreCub » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:48 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone. The fan hub on my Cub S/N 118264 has the threaded hole for the oil fill but the threads are shot and it has not had a plug for at least a year since I got it. Before I go in and re-cut/re-form any threads for a new plug does anyone know what size? I could tap drill and re-tap oversize but I don't want to do that unless I have to. It's holding oil but I need to get it plugged. TIA

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:23 pm

If a srew will tighten in it, I wouldn't worry about the threads. the seal is made by a gasket under the screw head.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

l5foye
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fan Hub

Postby l5foye » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:01 pm

I was interested to read about the fan hub problem. I had oil leaking badly from mine. I replaced the screw with a grease nipple and filled the hub with light grease. I hope somebody will tell me that this will be ok.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:52 pm

I dont think grease is a good idea in a fan-hub. There is an oil slinger in the hub that keeps the parts oiled and I think grease will stick to 1 spot from the centrifical force and not lube anything. It is supposed to be filled with 30-weight motor oil.
Then came Bronson

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:23 pm

10-24 can't remember.Johnbron's right I don't think its a good idea to put a grease nipple on it.But what do i know.One time this friend of mine used bathtub sealant (with hay mixed in).on his pto.tried to find anything in the barn.I said"That won't work"It has not leaked yet!He likes to bring that up all the time.He uses nails for cotter keys. He is such a hoople.Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.I am still learning.I have to do everything by the book.Thats 30 years of fixen airplanes for ya!
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:28 pm

I'm gonna agree that grease is not a good idea. I don't think you can get it full enough of grease to work without pushing excessive amounts out the back creating even more problems.

Now, RedNed, you're gonna have to explain the term "hoople" to me! :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”