This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Avgas Update

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Avgas Update

Postby WKPoor » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:17 pm

Well its been about 3 months now that I've been running Avgas in not just tractors but everything at my house that doesn't say "EFI" on it. Here is my conclusion: Pump gas is junk-repeat-JUNK, barely anygood for anything but washing parts. Pour it out in a pan alongside another pan with Avgas and the pump gas might lay there for almost a day. The Avgas evaporates in minutes. Unless your fuel delivery system sprays it under pressure and your ignition system is hot hot that stuff just doesn't burn right. I got to thinking about all the problems I've had with other things like the my Boat fouling plugs last summer at Cumberland and how the pressure washer is hard to start after it is run awhile. With Avags the washer starts right up easily. The chainsaw starts on the first pull now everytime. Basically, yes there will still be issues where indeed overfueling will be why somethings are fouling, but I believe the problem is worse because the fuel we now buy at the pump is JUNK. It smells bad because it is bad. Can't wait to see how the boat performs this summer with good GAS!! :lol: :lol:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Avgas Update

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:21 pm

WKPoor wrote:. Pour it out in a pan alongside another pan with Avgas and the pump gas might lay there for almost a day. The Avgas evaporates in minutes.
Wonder how much you will lose to evaporation in a a tank that has open vents like an antique tractor rather than a closeed system.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:51 pm

Must not be too much of a factor as aircraft wing tanks vent the same oldfashioned way. Its a fact though, spill a little on the concrete and it goes away like laquer thinner. Spill some pump gas and its there for hours. I'm a thinkin cars don't atomize quite as well as fuel injection and thats why these fouling issues are becoming more prevelant. Couple that with the fact that carbs can't regulate fuel/air ratios as well and the problem is compounded. Add in a situation where the carbs a little rich to begin with and the blaim falls right square in the carbs lab. Quarantee you take that same situation only add Avgas to the tank and that rich condition will go away.

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Fouling

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:05 pm

Being an ex-AC owner of a 182,1960 model, I agree with some of your points. However, many older AC had a STD available for auto gas useage. Then 80 octane avgas was being phased out and 100LL avgas was the norm. Our Cub gets worked hard for 6 or 7 hours steady, every couple of weeks. And I wonder if light loads and not being brought up to operating temperature for hours might be more of a problem?

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:20 pm

Charles, You are correct that light loads and low operating temps is another angle on the protractor not helping the problem. As for STC'd aircraft, that has always been controversial. 10yrs ago I would say it might have been ok, but not now, no way. Knowing what I now know about fuels, I wouldn't want to be off the ground with pump gas in my tanks. How would you know whats really in there?

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:29 am

Diesel...Problem sloved :wink: :lol: 8)

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:17 am

All my junk runs fine on Rot Gut gas!! :lol:
Young man for work, old man for advice

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:37 am

Diesel...Problem sloved

Donny, You don't know how funny that statement was. I here that at least a couple of times a week. Same person tells me to sell all my antiquers and get one new compact and be done with it. I'm just wondering were the fun in that would be. :lol: :lol: :lol:

All my junk runs fine on Rot Gut gas!!

Jim, You got any Gravely machines around there? I'm talkin L Models walk-behind. You know the kind-that like to pull your arm out of its socket when they kick the wrong way on a pull start. Thats that good ole rot gut gas for ya! :lol: :lol:

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:45 am

Bill. I know what your talking about with those Model "L" gravelys. I only wrap the strap around 1 1/2 - 2 times now ..... :oops:
Ron

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:57 am

I have to agree with Jim H. All my stuff runs good on 87 octane pump gas. With Avgas north of 3 bucks a gallon, my tractor will continue on 87 octane pump gas. Avgas is a throw back to WWII when high performance aircraft needed a common fuel that would run high compression engines from sea level to 30+ thousand feet, and from 120 degrees(F) to -50(F). Today's application is still important, as the piston driven a/c still have and need high compression, operate with changing fuel/air mixtures, and wide temperature range.
With that said, running 100LL probably will have no short term effect on your equipment. Unless I had something, (like my old street-rod), with better than 10.5 to 1 compression ratio, I'd just buy some lead additive or octane booster. Besides, I wouldn't want to get my cub hooked on something I can't afford. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, by the way, If you running 100LL avgas in your automobile, your local DOT rep will appreciate you using the "road-taxed" version. :lol: :lol: 8)

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:02 am

No doubt Avgas is some fine stuff. There is not really any problem since the lead content is so low. I friend uses it as winterization fuel for his boat, the last fill up of the year is avgas and then he tops it off for the winter. We used it in an old Dodge pickup that ran like crap and it helped. I wonder though, if the quality of the Avgas helps to mask the problems wit equipment that does not run right on regular pump "rot gut". I love the stuff. Oh, and Donny's suggestion to go Diesel....I have Jet fuel for that!

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:02 am

Donny, wonder what a load of "Jet A" would do in your truck.
May get home a lot quicker. :lol: :lol: 8)

S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Avgas

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:03 am

What is the octane rating of the aviation fuel? It's over 100 isn't it? Do you know how much tetra-ethyl is in it? I wonder if it has the same lead content as the old leaded gas?

S.H.A.F.T.
"Son, you can do it right, or you can do it again."

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:39 am

I think avgas has been "Nader-ized" as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:17 am

WKPoor wrote:
Jim, You got any Gravely machines around there? I'm talkin L Models walk-behind. You know the kind-that like to pull your arm out of its socket when they kick the wrong way on a pull start. Thats that good ole rot gut gas for ya! :lol: :lol:

If your "L" model Gravely is kicking back, the problem is not fuel. The timing is too far advanced or your magneto needs some mechanical attention.

Return to “Farmall Cub”