This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

THANKS Ron "Kodiak" For Stoppin' By

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

THANKS Ron "Kodiak" For Stoppin' By

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:31 am

Ol' Country had a visit the other day from Ron "Kodiak" from Georgia :D . He stopped in to show me an old Buckeye apple cider press he'd picked up in Ohio in pieces 8) ! Great BIG ol' press...one of the largest I've ever seen. :shock: It was GREAT meetin' Ron...we had some possum & crackers for lunch and he was on his way home! I hope any of you "Cubbers" who are in our neck-o-the woods will stop by for a visit...y'all are always welcome :wink: !
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:44 am

Thanks for the Southern hospilatility! The lunch was great, there's nothing can hold a candle to Southern Sun-dried Possum with soda crackers! If any you guys ever in Country's neck of the woods or mine we'd be plum happy to see ya :D
Thanks again Country for showing me around you have a nice place there.

Kodiak
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:50 am

Kodiak,

I didn't realize your cider press was from OHIO! I commented earlier that it looks like the one we had many years ago. Maybe it IS the same one. I last saw it about 1951.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:32 pm

George,
It came from Lynn, Indiana. Belonged to an Little Old Lady that was about 85 according to Phantom whom I traded for it. I need to send him a PM and get more history and details. Who knows it might be the same press!

2007 Cub Tug Champion

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:37 am

ALL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE........

george,

the rare occasion has occurred. you are in error. the photos of country and the cider press are not the same as the press being discussed. i too admired ole country with his press. when i saw it i had to go out to the shed and be sure country had not been using a press locator similar to bigdogs cub locator. mine was still there. i have forgotten the brand name of the one country has but it is not a buckeye. the one kodiak took possession of was in the shed in the back of my place since before 1985. the p/o of my home in randolph county (carl and helen thorn) were the second owners of 80 acres and had lived here for 57 years. to the east and rear of the house were all sorts and varieties of fruit and nut trees, all planted by the thorns. helen had been a scool teacher in a one room school about half a mile west of this house. as was the custom of the time,when carl married helen she was required to give up her teaching job. together they farmed the 80 acres with horses. in 1972 with the aid and assistance of carls brother bud, the house was jacked up and placed on a block foundation, a new well was drilled to replace the dug well, and the house was wired for electricity. it was also in the plans to actually put pipes from the well into the house. wonderful thing that 1972 technoligy. aaaaaaaaaaaanyhow, carl died that year, never having installed plumbing. helen continued to live in the house alone until 1985. even though she was sharp as a tack and in excellent health she knew the ole home place was going downhill, including the orchard. i bought the house and 1.5 acres around it at auction. over the following winter plumbing was installed, stainless steel liner was inserted into the chimney to accomodate a wood burner, and one interior wall was removed. my wife, cass and i were in the final stages ready to move in. it is now the spring of 1986. seven tornados ripped through the area one march afternoon. our new place took a direct hit. fruit trees were torn and uprooted. the tractor shed was moved several feet to the northwest, and the house suffered serious damage. the roof was removed from the rear part of the house, plaster throughout the house was shattered, and the entire structure took a twist leaving it nearly 4 inches out of plumb. naturally, my first thought was "now i will never get to use that cider press that is in pieces in the chicken house."
well, that press laid out in that shed until last week. i had mentioned in a prevoius post that i had such a press and kodiak said he was in hopes of finding just such a press. we had no idea what kind of deal we could work out for a swap, but i told kodiak to just toss something in the truck and come and get it.
when kodiak opened the back of his truck he drug out an old old sears and roebuck table saw. he said he didnt know anything about it but had just came across it in another swap. well, i was able to fill him in on all the particulars about the saw, and showed him its identical twin that had been given to me by my dad just 30 or so years earlier. sure enough kodiak had brought me the part that my dads old table saw needed. dad would have been quite capable of repairing the saw except sears had told him that the saw was obsolete and parts were no longer available. i love a good swap.

george, i know this post is much longer than most, but kodiak wanted to know the history of the press, and the rare occasion when you miss something......

speaking of swaps.... i know you keep up on the portland swap meet. are you able to tell me the dates for this year? i got lots more junque to rotate and i still dont have a push blade for the cub.
phantom

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
1955 Cub

Re: THANKS Ron "Kodiak" For Stoppin' By

Postby Ron L » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:46 am

'Country' Elliott wrote:...we had some possum & crackers for lunch :wink: !

Well, Bigdog. I guess 'ole Country beat you to this one, too !!!! :lol:

Ron

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:39 am

Phantom,

The swap is May 16 to 22. The auction will be on the 21st. There will also be a fall swap October 14 & 15.

Regular show will be August 24 to 28. Most of us arrive a few days earlier.

Check the web site at:

http://www.tristategasengine-tractor.com/tractorshow.htm
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Re: THANKS Ron "Kodiak" For Stoppin' By

Postby Bigdog » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:11 am

Ron L wrote:
'Country' Elliott wrote:...we had some possum & crackers for lunch :wink: !

Well, Bigdog. I guess 'ole Country beat you to this one, too !!!! :lol:

I like's 'em a little flatter! :D
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:08 pm

Phantom,
Thanks for the info on the press it was exactly what I wanted. I'll send or post some photo's when I get it restored. Next time I'm up that way I'll stop by Country's place and bring some of his famous Possum & Crackers up with me, you'll never be the same!

Thanks
Kodiak

2007 Cub Tug Champion

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:42 am

george,

thanks for the info on the dates. all the stuff i want for the cub was there last year, but the fellow who belonged to it was not there the same day i was so i didnt get it. i will probably get an early start and stay late this year and there will be nothing i want.

kodiak,

glad to be able to fill in a blank or two. never mind the pictures, i had a gallon of apple cider (or in this case some peach schnappes) in mind. as far as the possum goes, the guy on the next place to the east is an absentee farmer and i keep a 15 head heard in his pasture. he doesnt seem to mind (or know). see you in portland?
phantom

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:46 pm

Probably won't be able to make Portland ,but I'll see what I can do on the cider!

Take Care
Kodiak

2007 Cub Tug Champion

Return to “Farmall Cub”