This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

42" 48" 60" Is there a "best"

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

42" 48" 60" Is there a "best"

Postby rick 48 cub » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:02 pm

Hi All,

Years before I became a Cub owner, I purchased an 18.5hp Montgomery Wards riding lawnmower with a (twin blade) 42" mower. I want to use my Cub for mowing in the future - but in order for me to justify the purchase of a new belly mower/finish mower, I would really like to get something that will cut a little wider swath than my existing 42 inch riding lawnmower.

I would like to mow about 1.5 acres about twice a month - so the grass (weeds) would never get very tall.

Would a 60" mower bog down my average health 1948 cub ? As a comprimise, does anyone manufacture a 48" mower ? (Woods does not make a 48".)

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Rick in Minnesota
Rick 1948 cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

k. hansen'49cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby k. hansen'49cub » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:58 am

Hello Rick,
I have a "60 Danco mower on my '49 ,I use it to mow 2.5 acres around my home it really does a great job ,as long as your govenor is adjusted properly it should do fine, if you buy a used deck make sure it comes with the correct pto pulley, if you are looking to mow tall grass "8 to "10 you will have no problem,keep the blades sharp, alot of these "60 mowers were used at golf courses ,and school's in my area,and on my lawn I can't wait to use it again, I just rebuilt the spindles over the winter ,new paint on the cub and deck, there is no need to compromise with a smaller deck ,Hope this help's
Keith

'39JD B
'49 cub
'52 8n
'53 Golden Jubilee
And a whole bunch of Cub Cadets.....

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:07 am

They aren't available new, but a Mott 48 inch flail would be a good choice for the mowing you wnat to do.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:37 am

Rick,

You overlooked a size! My '47 had a 54" Bolens shaft drive adapted to it. I think it was the ideal size... a compromise between the 42" that the Cubs handle very well but are too narrow and the 60" that are too much load under some conditions. It all depends on how complete your shop is whether it is something to consider.

That great little Cub left here in 1999. :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks for advice

Postby rick 48 cub » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:05 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence in Cub power Keith.

Hey George - you got me excited about the possibility of a 54" - sounds like a great comprimise, especially for slightly uneven ground. Is the 54" Bolens still made new or if only found used can you provide any suggestions as to where I can find one ?

Also, I find the thought of a shaft drive interesting. From a power-sapping standpoint, I wonder how the shaft drive compares to the the belt drive ? Also, did you have a belt from the PTO to the shaft - or a chain ?

What happened to your Cub in 1999 ?

Thanks for the info everyone.
Rick 1948 cub

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:10 pm

Hi Rick, Just came in from 3 hrs. cutting grass/weeds, here's my 2 cents..Have never tried a deck with two blades, but the WOODS 42CF6 that I am using seems like a perfect match to the Cub. Its simple and easy to adjust, makes a very nice cut down to 3" ...even with dull blades :oops: :oops:, has chain drive off the PTO which is almost as good as a drive shaft, but it does make a racket. It has just one belt which makes maintenance easier.

The 42CF6 seems well matched my Cubs power...would run smoothly all day if I wanted to cut more. Its my opinion that the WOODS 60" might be too much work for MY Cub.

Looks like it will last another 100 yr..10 ga. steel.

The swing out blades are easy to remove and replace, the overriding clutch is also nice to have.

Blades, belts and some parts are available through Carter & Gruenewald Co. and are not too expensive.

Hope you enjoy mowing with your Cub as much as I do :D

Mr. Willer....Great lookin' '47 Cub...Did you actually let go of one of your toys :lol:
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:39 pm

Rick,

The Bolens came with the Cub, but it wasn't properly adapted. I tried to use it with it's crappy belt drive system, but it wouldn't hardly mow at all. I added the gear box, made up a jack shaft to drive the shaft, and made a better mounting frame. The improvement in power was amazing. This will give you an idea how I did it...

I had an auction in 1999 to sell off my construction equipment. I added a couple restored tractors to the sale bill, but kept the reserve high enough that I didn't expect them to sell. The '40 H went a couple hundred over the reserve but the Cub went over by $2200!!! :shock: :shock: :D :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:00 pm

That is amazing GW :shock:

Oh yea. :) NICE GRASS :D
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Return to “Farmall Cub”