serial numbers

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

serial numbers

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:59 pm

My most recent purchase has no data plate, but the engine serial is FCUBM 2611. Which would make me think probably 1947. the casting code on the engine however is 8*3*S, which would indicate 1949. The engine serial is stamped quite clearly with no indication of a possible light stamp or missing numbers. Any thoughts?
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:13 pm

Here are 3 possible explanations:

1) Engine number poorly stamped/misread. The real number would have to be something like 7611x, requiring a misread first digit and a lost last digit.
2) Date code poorly cast/misread. Since engine 2611 was probably put in a tractor in July, 1947, it would require misreading both the month and year.
3) A replacement block with no serial number was installed. The shop that installed it also stamped the original numbers into the replacement block. I would generally consider this the least likely explanation, but in this case maybe not.

Are other date codes in agreement with the serial number or the engine date code? (or neither?)
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: serial numbers

Postby George Willer » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:18 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:My most recent purchase has no data plate, but the engine serial is FCUBM 2611. Which would make me think probably 1947. the casting code on the engine however is 8*3*S, which would indicate 1949. The engine serial is stamped quite clearly with no indication of a possible light stamp or missing numbers. Any thoughts?
\

John,

Your engine must be parts of a '47 and a '49 block stitched together! :shock: :D :? :roll:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:47 pm

It took me several trys to get the correct serial numbers off the blocks. The years have not been kind to the engine blocks or my eyes since they were created.
Lurker Carl
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety Award

Return to Farmall Cub