Clutch pilot tool ?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Clutch pilot tool ?

Postby buster » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:43 pm

I finally got around to splitting my cub to replace the rear seal in the engine. Thanks to all the tips I read here I discovered that the problem was a new number seal in the old style retainer. When I pulled the flywheel off the seal was sticking out at the bottom and I can R & R with my fingers. I've had the tractor for 15 years before it came loose. I ordered a new style retainer from tm tractor and a new seal from napa. My question is do I need a pilot shaft tool to align the clutch for reassembly or can it be done without it.
buster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:48 pm

The best bet would be to use a line-up tool. Call John Jr. at JP Tractor Salvage...he'll send you the cut-off end of the clutch shaft for $5-10.

http://www.jptractorsalvage.com/default.htm
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman
Cub-Bud
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Pilot bushing

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:51 pm

It makes it a "LOT" easier if you can get a wooden dowel to center the clutch. Shaped to fit as necessary.
Charles (49) Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years

Zip Code: 63031

Postby buster » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:10 pm

Thanks, cub-bud I just gave John a call and have one on the way for $16.00 shipping included.
buster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brent » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:26 pm

:( Too late for Buster but if you take the clutch disk in to most auto parts stores they can match you up with an alignment tool. I got mine at Auto Zone for about $5.00.
Always try the easiest thing first.
Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years

Zip Code: 93510

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:52 pm

I couldn'r find one that would fit both my pilot bsushing and clutch disk, so for my first time changing a clutch I got a plastic alinement too that fit the pilot and stuck it in a half inch drill and used a grinder to turn down the spline part to slip inside the clutch. Now I have a cut off shaft I use.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Return to Farmall Cub