This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cutout and Regulator tests and adjustments

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515
Circle of Safety: Y

Cutout and Regulator tests and adjustments

Postby birddog » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Attention:
What I show here as to the adjustments of a Cutout or Regulator is what I have had success with in the past. The experts will tell you that only those with the training and equipment should attempt to adjust them. Also it is the opinion of some experts that if there is a malfunction, the unit probably has reached it’s expected life and should be replaced.

This may be true but we all can’t afford to replace parts at will. I have had good luck with cleaning and adjusting them. One thing to remember though, my tractors see only limited use. If you run yours on a regular basis the cleaning and adjustment may not last long.

The Cutout Test and Regulator Test as I show them is a bench type test. It can be done while mounted on your Cub, but all wires should be removed. Remember to insulate them so they don’t short out. After making your adjustments and it seems to be working, at the very least, you should check the voltage at the battery and check the charge rate on the AMP gauge to see if it’s over charging. Also, with every thing off, remember to check to make sure it isn’t discharging.

If the points are burnt they will need to be filed and then cleaned. When adjusting by the tabs keep the points as parallel as possible. I have bent them offset though if they were badly burnt on an edge.

Do not attempt to adjust them while the engine is running or there is battery voltage present.

Edit: Thanks to Bus Driver for pointing out that after the cover has been installed they need to be rechecked. They are heat sensitive.
Edit 2: Thanks to beaconlight for this info. The cover on affects the magnetic field is why it affects when installed.
The first two photos show how to check a Cutout and the cutout relay of a Regulator.

The other photos show some of the possible ways to adjust them (depending how they are built) in an attempt to get them working.

Remember if you see some thing wrong let me know.

Last edited by birddog on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Re: Cutout and Regulator tests and adjustments

Postby Cecil » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Mark, would it be possible to send me a copy of the test board and the circuit diagram for it. The diagram does not show completly in your post.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:55 am

Mark:

I like this one a lot. Going to be a lot easier to understand now. Excellent work and I am sure a lot of our members are going to be really happy that you took the time to do this for us. I know I certainly appreciate it :!: Thank you :)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Time at this moment did not permit reading all the accompanying text carefully. Voltage regulators are affected by the cover on the regulator. So after adjustments, it is very important to replace the cover and verify operating characteristics with the cover secured in place. I have had very few occasions where voltage regulators needed adjusting.
Luck favors those who are prepared

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby birddog » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks for pointing that out Bus Driver. I did know that they were heat sensitive but I didn't think to mention it. I will add it to the post.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:55 pm

birddog wrote:Thanks for pointing that out Bus Driver. I did know that they were heat sensitive but I didn't think to mention it. I will add it to the post.

I'm not sure it is heat that is affecting them, as they do seem to change almost instantly when you install the cover.

Regarding your first post, and the advice many give that if it needs adjustment it is "done", the older Delco-Remy relays were made to be rebuilt and adjusted.

Thanks for the post!
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:55 pm

birddog wrote:Thanks for pointing that out Bus Driver. I did know that they were heat sensitive but I didn't think to mention it. I will add it to the post.

I'm not sure it is heat that is affecting them, as they do seem to change almost instantly when you install the cover.

Regarding your first post, and the advice many give that if it needs adjustment it is "done", the older Delco-Remy relays were made to be rebuilt and adjusted.

Thanks for the post!
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."

'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"

"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:56 pm

I just wanted to bump this post to the top as I really found it helpful in troubleshooting my voltage regulator... Might be a good addition to the How To forum for the electrical system. Mark, I really appreciate your post!!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Cecil wrote:Mark, would it be possible to send me a copy of the test board and the circuit diagram for it. The diagram does not show completly in your post.

Right click on the pic and click on view pic and the complete pic will show
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:17 pm

The cover on affects the magnetic field is why it affects when installed.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby birddog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks Mike.

Thanks beaconlight, I added that to the post.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

Gerry Powell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Postby Gerry Powell » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Good post.
When the cover is installed, make sure the gasket is in place at the base and the two screws have the nylon washers. The cover has to be isolated from ground or it will effect the coils. This prevents the cover from looking like a "shorted turn" to the coils.
Gerry

Ojgrsoi
Zip Code: 76087
Tractors Owned: 1973 IH CUB 154 LO BOY
Twitter ID: @jMark_Randall

Postby Ojgrsoi » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Thanks for the information on adjusting this regulator.

My question is, "To decrease the voltage output which way do you go with the points? Wider gap or closer?"

I have a 12V system in a 154. My issue is that the original voltage regulator points were just shot. I installed a new regulator and changed my brushes while I had everything opened up. Everything worked just perfect with the exception that I noticed the amp gauge seemed to be charging a lot. So I thought I would monitor the voltage and installed a volt gauge. The output is about 15V and does not change once warmed up. I had the battery tested and it tests good at the parts store. I have charged the battery overnight to make sure it was ready. I have checked all the wiring, everything is tight and battery cables are new. No change in the output.

So I bit the bullet and bought another voltage regulator since I could not find anything wrong. The new voltage regulator performs exactly like the first replacement. I drove the tractor around for over an hour so everything would have a chance to charge, get warm etc. Still the same.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Mark

1973 Cub 154 Lo Boy w/3160 Rotary Cutter & 54 Blade
1951 M38

Circle of Safety

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby birddog » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:11 pm

I'm not sure which way you would adjust them. I just play with them until I get the result I want. Most often my adjustments were made to the cut out side because it wasn't charging at all.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:18 pm

Hi,
It sounds like the system is working about right, the Cub service manual says the 12 volt system voltage for the Cub is supposed to be 13.6 - 14.5 volts when charging. 15 volts is a little more than that.
I don't have the 154 service manual, you could look in it to see what the voltage is supposed to be.

The charge rate on the ammeter normally goes down to small when the battery is fully charged, which is usually a few minutes after using the starter.

I have adjusted the voltage regulators on Cubs before.
If the one in your pics for a 154 works the same as a Cub regulator, to adjust the charge rate, or voltage output, you have to decrease the spring tension on the set of points that are on top of the coil of wire for the voltage.
It shows in the 5th pic down from the top. Slightly bend the bottom holder for the spring up to decrease the spring tension and voltage output. Be careful, it only takes a tiny bend to change the output.

In your 1st pic, you are pointing to the set of points that turns the system on and off, leave those like they are.
The other set of points, on the left in your 1st pic controls the voltage output of the system.

Also, I would remove some paint where the regulator mounts to the generator, it has to ground well.
The generator mountings may need paint removed also. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”