Lo-Boy Quits

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:41 pm

Help!! I have an older (1949?) Cub Lo-Boy that starts and idles fine, but after getting a little bit of a workout, just dies. I can usually restart with full choke, but after the second time it dies, I have to let it sit and cool for an hour or so. I've cleaned the gas tank and filter with no effect. Carbureator rebuild did nothing to fix the problem either. Based on the symptoms, I thought I had a fuel problem, but am beginning to suspect it may be electrical. Can a bad condensor do this? The horse manure pile is getting out of control! Any thoughts?

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:46 pm

Pull plug in bottom of carberator, and if you get a good flow for an extended period, try condenser or coil. If not a good flow, try lossening the gas cap.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:36 am

John's RIGHT :wink: ...It can be something as simple as blocked venting in your gas cap (especially if it's the old style, original gas cap) :cry: .Make sure that the vent hole is not blocked and free flowin'. If that's o.k. then replace your condensor...check and replace points (if necessary)...reset your timing to Top Dead Center...and your problem should be fixed :wink: !

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:42 am

If the tractor has run for a while before this happens, you may have an ignition problem. The next time it happens, pull a plug wire and check the spark quality. If it is not a bright blue spark at least 3/8" long you may have a coil going bad.

Lo-Boy Quits

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:27 pm

Thanks for the advice. Once it quits snowing here, I'll give each and every suggestion a try.