This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wiring Questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320
Circle of Safety: Y

Wiring Questions

Postby thiggy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:58 pm

I am in the process of re-wiring my '49 Cub from scratch. I have magneto ignition and 6V cut out with a 4-position light switch. Does the rear work light come on at the same switch setting for the headlights? It seems as if the rear light should be switched independently. My switch setting indicators are L, H, D, & B. What switch position should be used when the engine is not running?

Another issue: When I got to the point of wiring the single pole grounding switch, I checked the terminal on the magneto with a continuity tester - one probe on the terminal and the other on a head bolt. (This is without the kill switch being wired up yet.) I get a completed circuit indication. Is this as it should be? It doesn't seem quite right to me, as grounding the magneto is the method of killing the spark.
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Wiring Questions

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:32 pm

thiggy wrote:When I got to the point of wiring the single pole grounding switch, I checked the terminal on the magneto with a continuity tester - one probe on the terminal and the other on a head bolt. (This is without the kill switch being wired up yet.) I get a completed circuit indication. Is this as it should be?
Yes. Depending on manufacturers design, typically the kill wire terminal on the side of the magneto is grounded inside the magnet in two areas.
1) Through the points, when closed to ground.
2) Through the primary winding to ground.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:54 pm

If your battery and charging system is in good working order, use the L position while your are using the tractor in the day time, use the H position when using while the headlights are on, The D is for dim and the B is for bright. while not running L or H will be OK , all this is in the owners manual
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:37 am

Not sure about magneto Cubs, but a 6v wiring harness is about $50. I am pretty partial to a quality wiring harness where the colors match the diagram and the connections are soldered with shrink wrap. The A&I harnesses on ebay are pretty nice and comparable to the 'factory' ones.

Good (not great) diagrams are in the Operator's Manual.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 2 Cubs
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Farmall 130 with loader
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:41 am

According to my wiring diagram, the taillight has its own terminal on the switch. It comes on at the same brilliance whether the headlights are bright or dim.

The H or L positions are fine when the tractor isn't running, as the lights will be off. I use the H position if I'm not running the tractor for long, so it charges the battery faster. If I were running the tractor for more than, say, 10 minutes, I'd put it on L to avoid overcharging the battery. (The H and L refer to the charge rates for the generator.)
"Remember, I'm pulling for you - we're all in this together!"
Quoted from Red Green of Possum Lodge

When you get older, lack of pep is often mistaken for patience.

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:29 am

well said by all.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Return to “Farmall Cub”