This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Cub belly mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hunter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall Cub belly mower

Postby Hunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:59 pm

I have a cub with a belly mower that is a brush mower type (not finish mower). It is a 48" and shaped like a stop sign (hexagon)I have no idea what brand it is and I am in need of some new blades. Any have any ideas for me where to begin

Thanks
Steve
Steve

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Cub belly mower

Postby tst » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:22 pm

Post a picture of it so maybe it can be idenitified, maybe a woods or danco
Tim

Hunter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Ok I looked at pictures of the Woods 48" belly mowers and they are just like mine. I am sure it is a woods. Now can the blades still be had???? I did see one at Tractor supply online that looked close. Any other suggestions
Steve

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:49 pm

http://www.germanbliss.com/pages/oempar ... 26/AS-2406

scroll down to item 12

say's kit is $70 +-

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:08 am

I am rebuilding a Woods 42 inch rotary cutter now. I believe that one way to help identify the particular Woods model is how the spindle housing mounts to the deck. My spindle bolts on the vertical and some bolt to the deck on the horizontal. I needed new blades for the 42 inch and I bought them from my local Woods dealer and avoided the shipping cost. If you go to the Woods Internet site you will find their dealer locations. A set of two blades was about 50 dollars. My local TSC dealer said that TSC is no longer are a Woods dealer.

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97000
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.

Postby Redcub » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:17 am

Woods Parts Manuals on Rudi's server: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/OEM%20 ... index.html
Next time you are out here in the Pacific NW see us at
The Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks Ore, along Interstate-5 just North of Salem
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:41 am

If you are going through the dealer, and there is more than one within reasonable distance, call them all to check prices. I have three fairly close, and when I needed new brackets, I got three different prices. The lowest was below suggested list, and the highest was almost twice the lowest.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm

As bythepond88 correctly states, the Woods dealers all differ on prices. What is helpful is that some of the authorized dealers maintain websites with on-line parts listings along with their retail price. If you visit these websites, you can get a quick price range comparison for the parts you need.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:28 pm

BTW, the Woods is *NOT* a brush mower. It's a finish mower.

Hunter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hunter » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:36 pm

The folks from "Woods" said it was a rotary mower, which I always though that meant it was a brush mower. The blades are colapsable and have the mounting hole on one end with one cutting edge. Most finish mowers the blades are mounted in the center of the blade with 2 cutting edges per blade.

I did find the blades at my local IH dealer. Part # 3975KT which are for the Woods 42C deck
Steve

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:22 am

Carter and Gruenwald is a Woods dealer, they are a board sponsor too. There are a couple of different blades for a 42 AND I think some models spin the opposite direction from a Cub so it's not just find blades for a 'Woods 42'.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Hunter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hunter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:42 am

I have the right blades for a Cub. It turns clockwise. There is an embossed "This side Down" on the blade. I spent some time on the phone with the tech side at Woods corporate headquarters. The only thing different with the new blades is that the leading/cutting edge of the bevel is cut on the bottom side now instead of on the top. I was always use to seeing the leading/cutting edge of a bevel on the top. Woods assured me that it dosen't make a difference. We will see as soon as I can get the new blades on. This info is from the horses mouth at Woods.
Steve
Steve

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:38 am

Hunter wrote:The folks from "Woods" said it was a rotary mower, which I always though that meant it was a brush mower. The blades are colapsable and have the mounting hole on one end with one cutting edge. Most finish mowers the blades are mounted in the center of the blade with 2 cutting edges per blade.

I did find the blades at my local IH dealer. Part # 3975KT which are for the Woods 42C deck

There are lots of different terms used to describe specific types of rotary mowers/cutters. Generally, I view the swing back blade being associated with the bush/brush hog configuration. This design is forgiving in rough situations where the blades may hit immovable objects such as rocks or stumps. The swing back feature will usually prevent bending the spindle shaft or shearing a drive key. Both the swing back and fixed blade cutters or mowers can do a respectable job as a finishing mower if set up properly. As blade length increases, however, the ability to make a uniform cut over irregular terrain decreases. Additionally, these mowers usually do not have gauge wheels to keep the blade away from the ground, which is another feature of most finishing mowers. Of course, the true finishing mower is the one used on golf courses - the reel mower, which cuts the grass blades with a smooth scissors action and a roller for gauging the height of cut. The reel mower has several drawbacks because it will not work well in course grass, weeds, irregular terrain or where the grass is allowed to grow much taller than 3-4 inches.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:56 pm

Yep Challenger, I consider the Woods 42 and IH C-2 as brush mowers. A reel mower is pretty particular about what it cuts and they keep getting harder to find someone to sharpen them. A friend used to raise turf and they had a sharpener. A flail mower does a real nice job on a lawn too.

I have cut the top off a granite iceberg once. The nice thing about a C-2 is the blades are reversable when you wack a few too many rocks.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Hunter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hunter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:24 am

Ok I put the new blades on the Woods mower . I tried it out and it cuts. Hard to tell if it is cutting better or as good as it did before. I just can't figure out why they would have changed the bevel from top side to bottom side. When I talked to the folks at Woods they just said make sure that the (embossed "this side down" actually faced down). If you do that the blade is cutting the right direction. I would think if the design was not working for Woods they would have changed it by now, as these design blades have been around for a while now.
Steve

Return to “Farmall Cub”