This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine brace

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Engine brace

Postby Landreo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 am

I have no idea how much the front engine mount on the right can move before it breaks but I have one cub with a welded ear. I thought to minimize movement i would want a straight connection between the front ear and the rear through a resonable thick peice of steel. I did not want any bends since that is a place for the brace to flex, I also did not want any welds mostly just for looks. So I came up with this design and I believe it will work well.

I took a peice of 1 inch cold rolled steel, drilled and tapped a 5/8 inch hole 1/2 way through. The other side has a 7/16 inch hole with a slight countersink. That piece acts as a nut and threads onto a 5/8 stud that replaces the 5/8 bolt going into the bolster. I then took a piece of DOM tubing, 1 inch dia, and cut for a tight fit between the rear engine mount and the peice of threaded CRS. A length of B-7 all thread rod, 7/16 , is pushed through the rear engine mound like the original 7/16 bolt, through the DOM tubing and threads into the 7/16 side of the CRS slug. The countersink or bevel helps guide the rod into the threaded part of the slug. Put a nut on the other end of the all thread rod and tighten. The DOM tubing and slug transfer the rearward movement to the rear engine mount. Any forward movement is tensioned by the all thread rod and that tension is transfered to the rear engine mount.

The rear mound hole and the front mount hole are not inline but offset by about 0.4 inches ( thanks to Rick Prentice for those numbers) as in the photos.

The all thread rod will move enough so that slight offset was not a problem. Quick and easy to make. The ends of the DOM tubing was given a tiny bevel or angle to allow for that offset.

Another way is to cut the DOM tubing short and use two nuts to help direct the force as in this photo. Easier, less fitting, but does not look as nice.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Engine brace

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:51 am

Interesting take on the engine brace concept.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 am

That looks easy enough. And easy to take off in case the starter needs to be removed.

Did you put a brace on the other side of the tractor?

Todd

Steve K. CALIF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93636
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #550
1962 LoBoy

Postby Steve K. CALIF » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Geesh! Genius again! Would you sell one to me? Thanks for the innovation. Steve K.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:04 am

No plans to sell any. The starter should come off without removing the brace. I am going to make one more for myself. I have a plan for a "no drilling or tapping" version which should be easy to make.

Return to “Farmall Cub”