This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shipping Woods Mower - What Freight Class Should Be Used?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Shipping Woods Mower - What Freight Class Should Be Used?

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:38 am

I would like to get a gentleman a quote to ship a Woods Mower for a Cub from Alabama to Rhode Island. I can put it on a pallet and drop it off at the freight carrier with no problem, however I'd like to get him a quote so he's not Surprised when he goes to pick it up. They are asking for a "Freight Class" and was wondering if and of you guys have shipped this type of stuff before and what Class you all have used.

I read in the brochure on TM Tractor's website, that a Woods Mower for a Cub weighed 250 lbs in the 1950's. I'd say this mower was purchased in the 80's or 90's; therefore I used 300 lbs as the shipping weight becuase I feel it is built heavier than the older mowers. I know the frieght class are calculated by weight and deminsions; but thought I'd ask about the classes since I'm sure you guys have shipped one reasonably before.

Also......who would you recommend to give the best rate? Haha......Nowadays, I guess there really isn't such a thing as a good rate.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Shipping Woods Mower - What Freight Class Should Be Used

Postby Former Member » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:41 am

Cub express :big afro:

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:52 am

I guess it COULD be possible? A Fast Hitch would like to "hitch" a ride to the same residence as well most likely. Are YOU going up to Rhode Island anytime soon!? haha
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:30 am

I probably could, considering what it will cost to ship the woods and a fast hitch. LOL

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:56 am

YEP!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:51 am

Class 77.5 is all I have ever used when shipping items freight, list it as agricultural equipment.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:53 am

I use rlcarriers.com as my primary shipper, shipping it to a commercial or business address will save you some money also versus shipping it to a residence.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks CubGuy. So, does the weight/size not matter since you use the same class for your stuff?? When calculating the class by the weight and size (using estimates), it comes up with Class 110. I have always just shipped it to the distribution center and the buyer would simply pick it up. I didn't see an option for that on the quote form for RL Carriers. They also told me they'd come to our place and pick it up at no extra charge, and it seems like they DO charge ALOT for that.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:45 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:Thanks CubGuy. So, does the weight/size not matter since you use the same class for your stuff?? When calculating the class by the weight and size (using estimates), it comes up with Class 110. I have always just shipped it to the distribution center and the buyer would simply pick it up. I didn't see an option for that on the quote form for RL Carriers. They also told me they'd come to our place and pick it up at no extra charge, and it seems like they DO charge ALOT for that.

Weight does matter in regards to cost. Be sure to state the actual weight correctly because they will back charge you if it is wrong. They monitor the weights pretty closely because any semis pulled over at weigh stations for being over get fined big time.

Class has nothing to do with weight as far as I am aware, class is the type of product you are shipping and what it is made of. I have used class 77.5 for 8 years now with them and have never had any issues whatsoever.

You can do an online quote, but I always call them direct and speak to the Rate department, they will take your info down and give you a verbal quote, but then they give you a rate quote number that you can use on the Bill of lading form when you proceed with your shipment process.

As far as I know, it is the same rate whether it is shipped to a business address or whether it is picked up at the distribution center, the only time they really add to the cost is when you require residential delivery of your product, or add a liftgate charge.

I think the only way they will pick up your shipment at no charge is if you are at a business address, they charge extra for any residential pickups, I think they might have misunderstood what you were asking if they said no charge for pickups. I always take it to their depot, fill out a bill of lading, and pay with a check, then it is off and gone and arrives normally within 3-4 days at its destination.

Hope this helps.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:03 pm

How do you weigh your shipments accurately for a quote because taking to the depot for a weight and then waiting on the person to decide whether he wants the item or not is alot of time and fuel. Do you have your own scales? I thought if I went by the shipping weight listed in the manuals/brochures, it would be close enough (and maybe add extra to be safe).
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:22 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:How do you weigh your shipments accurately for a quote because taking to the depot for a weight and then waiting on the person to decide whether he wants the item or not is alot of time and fuel. Do you have your own scales? I thought if I went by the shipping weight listed in the manuals/brochures, it would be close enough (and maybe add extra to be safe).

I have the old type scale with weights that you see in lumberyards sometimes. I band the item to the pallet then put the whole assembly on my scale.

If you are going off of the printed manufacturer weight you will be just fine, but be sure to also add in the pallet weight or whatever you are strapping it to. 35-40 lbs is about right for a 4 x 4 pallet.

In terms of accuracy, if you are off by 50 lbs you are ok, I guess I am talking 100 or more pounds of a miscalculation, something more significant, that is when they will back charge you.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:11 pm

Yeah, we used to have a set of scales years ago....I'd say they were about the size of a pallet with the top part where you added weights. I think they got scrapped or sold 15 or so years ago. I need to find another good set. It'd be a good investment to have.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:52 pm

I got the dimensions of the woods mower (on the tractor) as it would be shipped on a pallet taken apart. It looks like it would conservatively be 49-50 inches square by 18-20 inches tall. A pallet is 48 inches by 44 inches, therefore it would fit will minimal hangover, which I don't think would matter because it is a low profile square steel deck.

It would be a great idea for some of us to keep a spreadsheet or records where we ship something (when Cub Express isn't available) of items we ship, so when a shipping weight, freight code, etc is needed; it would be handy to have. I figured between all of us on here, someone would have that info. The 77.5 weight class sounds good to me, but I'd hate to be a little off on the weight and cheat the buyer on the shipping by having too much weight, and then I'd really hate to cheat myself and not add enough.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:56 am

The best way in my opinion is like Dale said ....CUB EXPRESS!!
I recently bought a Continental Belton mower from Dgrapes in Ohio and in the course of a few weeks i picked it up about 4 hours from my house. It was the greatest thing!! Thanks again to all that made its journey possible!!
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

Return to “Farmall Cub”