This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

drilling out dogleg screws

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

drilling out dogleg screws

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:56 pm

The cub I was repairing the touch control on had a dogleg screw broken off in the steering side radiator casting, but luckily it was the front one which is easier to get too. However when I was removing the rear screw it broke too, which is a little more difficult. I did not have a right angle drill small enough to go in there, nor a bit long enough to reach past the steering housing, so after looking through my assorted junk I came up with this. I had three or four 1/4 inch drill motors that had not been used in many years, so one of them became a chuck donor, I mixed up some JB Weld and spread on the threads of a 3/8 fine thread bolt, then screwed it in good and tight. The JB Weld is so I can use it with a left hand twist bolt if I ever need too. I cut off a dull 5/32 bit and resharpened it, and was in business. I did remove the 2 bolts in the seal holder for the steering shaft to get a little more room. The 5/32 bit is very slightly large for the 10/24 tap, but I did not have any numbered bits, which is what it should have been, but all seems ok.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: drilling out dogleg screws

Postby Former Member » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:05 pm

great idea John, I have to look through my scrap bin

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Stanton » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Same thing happened to me. I ordered a 6" long 5/32" bit from Grainger, then retapped after using the JB Weld trick. Worked slick. :wink:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Good thing the iron ore train did not come by during the drilling :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Better to be slightly large in the pilot hole, than to twist the tap off in the hole!!!

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Better to be slightly large in the pilot hole, than to twist the tap off in the hole!!!

BTDT.. :oops:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:53 pm

John:

Ingenious :!: I like that idea. I have a few old/dead drills that would make good donors. I can see that mod being useful in a number of places.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:02 am

I like that approach as well, John. There's probably a number of situations where this set up will work. Thanks for the tip!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:14 am

To those that are not familiar with removing a drill chuck it is a normal right hand thread, and to remove it put the short ind of a large Allen wrench in the jaws and give it a sharp wrap driving it in the same direction the drill turns. A hammer handle, large wrench or crescent seems to work better than a hammer. If you have an impact, grind some flats on a volt for the jaws to grip and use an impact on the bolt would probably work good but I never thought of that at the time. A real old drill that has been used a lot is normally extremely hard to unscrew the chuck from. I hit that one so many times that I finally broke some teeth of the driven gear, and then took it apart and clamped it in my big vise to hold it. No problem though, I had 3 or 4 of them laying around that had not been used in years. If the drill you are taking the chuck off is a reversible drill there will be a screw inside the chuck that locks it in place. You have to open the jaws all the way then reach down inside with a screw driver or allen wrench and remove that screw before unscrewing the chuck. If you don't want to unscrew a chuck form one of your drills, replacements can be bought pretty cheaply form Amazon, Ebay, McMaster, Fastenal, Northern Tool, etc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:37 am

John,
...another ingenious idea for dealing with the dogleg screws on the right side.
Plenty of "how to's" on this repair in the archives.
The two most important things to remember in this repair;
1) Patience
2) Don't drill too deep! The dogleg screws are only #10-24 NC x 1/2". Any deeper than necessary and you will puncture the casting and have coolant all over the place. 5/8" is deep enough, put a piece of electrical tape around the bit or chuck the bit so only 5/8" sticks out.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:15 am

I was wondering what # size would be right for this job, so I went looking and found this helpfule little piece of information:

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/US-Tap-Drill-Size.aspx
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Return to “Farmall Cub”