Fuel line ferrule

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:17 pm

I was putting the hood back on when I went to hook the fuel line to the bowl I realized the ferrule was missing. Easy fix ? I went to the local hardware store and got a 5/16 ferrule. got home slipped it over the fuel line and when I tried to put the line together I found the ferrule is too tall, meaning the threads aren't close enough to catch. Am I missing something obvious? The ferrule on the other end is definately shorter.

Re: Fuel line ferrule

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Are you sure the old ferrule is not still inside the fitting. Don't ask why I thought of that, but it sure makes it hard to put another one in.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks John and yes that was the first thing I thought of after I figured it would not fit. No such luck. but thanks.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:30 pm

The fitting that IH sells has the ferrule on it, I believe it is made a little shorter on the nut side, here is apic from TM http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/512fp.htm
Tim

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:07 am

Thans Tim, I saw the tm one, was trying to save some time by finding one closer by.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:37 am

Joe, I've used auto parts store ferrules, many times, without a problem. Is there a burr on the tubing, that prevents the threaded part to move down the line? Ed

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:56 am

Thanks ed thats what I thought too. Line is burr free the little bugger is giving me a pain in the , well you know the rest.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:56 am

Yes the threads are short and the ferrule is long. The hardware store one will work fine but you have to put the ferrule clear at the end of the tubing.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:57 am

I will call you and explain the problem :D

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:42 am

I never tried oe of the hardware stor ferrules, but the nuts and ferrules from Napa, Carquest, and Autozone all work good.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:55 am

You think that's a PIA, try making a fuel line that is flared on both ends with a Zenith carb!

NAPA here has them.... and I have some spares if you want to come visit. Also, I put an O ring on one that didn't seal well.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:34 am

A quick phone call from Boss Hog and a stop by a friends garage and all is well. Thanks

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Joe Malinowski wrote:A quick phone call from Boss Hog and a stop by a friends garage and all is well. Thanks

There is no way you are getting away with that Joe.... :!: :arrow: Out with it.. what was the problem and what was the fix :?: Enquiring minds wish to know.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:31 pm

The fittig going into the bowl was changrd Rudi, so we found a different type compression fitting with no ferrule and thats it.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:45 pm

I get that. Glad it worked out :D