Re: Cub Powered McCormick 52-R Combine

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:58 am

Inquiring minds... Did you plug the combine by pulling too fast and getting too much in it at one time? What gear did you use on the cub? Looked like it was really crawling along...

Neat seeing this old equipment in operation!!!

Mike in Gibsonia, PA

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:31 am

I really enjoyed that video. Never saw a 52-R before aside from the engine or some parts. This is so cool 8) to actually see one in operation. Kudos to all those who worked on getting this back together and running. Must have been a fun project. Very cool 8) video. Be nice to see more of these older pieces running - especially behind a Cub :D

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:42 am

By the way...how'd the Cub handle the combine? I tried pulling my 52R one time. Never made it to the field. The tail was wagging the dog way more than I liked....

Al

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Hengy wrote: Did you plug the combine by pulling too fast and getting too much in it at one time?

There was something not seated right the first time. The guys went back to the shop and did whatever was needed and went back to the field .Speed wasn't a factor.

Super A wrote:how'd the Cub handle the combine?

It seemed to handle it pretty good. Steve took it slow out to the field, but the field was not far from the shop.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Old school, very cool!

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Hengy wrote: Did you plug the combine by pulling too fast and getting too much in it at one time?

There was something not seated right the first time. The guys went back to the shop and did whatever was needed and went back to the field .Speed wasn't a factor.

Looked to me like it could have been moving considerably faster. I don't think the combine was being run near capacity.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Looked to me like it could have been moving considerably faster. I don't think the combine was being run near capacity.

Having seen a 52R run I would have to agree with you. There is a difference of course between actual farming and a group get together for fun. It looked to me like the reel was not close to the cutter bar and allowing a build up which then was swated in by the reel. The 52R is a rasp bar type of threshing cylinder and cannot take as much of this treatment as can a hammer cyl. Vern

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:15 pm

v w wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:Looked to me like it could have been moving considerably faster. I don't think the combine was being run near capacity.

Having seen a 52R run I would have to agree with you. There is a difference of course between actual farming and a group get together for fun. It looked to me like the reel was not close to the cutter bar and allowing a build up which then was swated in by the reel. The 52R is a rasp bar type of threshing cylinder and cannot take as much of this treatment as can a hammer cyl. Vern

My experience with my 52R is it has to feed evenly, and you're fighting gravity if you have to cut the crop short, like in soybeans. So, the reel is REALLY important for getting the cut crop up onto the canvas so it can feed on into the machine. I also found in wheat that it helps to cut the straw sort of short---longer straw tends to feed better than short straw where you're just cutting the heads out. If it is feeding good, it will really "eat!"

Al

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:41 pm

The weather was about 3 drops short of a drizzle at times, I'm surprised how great it performed, being as damp and tough as it was. There were some green stems as well, which added to the difficulty. A little friction inside, etc. The returns elevator is all that I saw plugged, and it may only have been due to some surface rust, not having crop against it for so long. I think Steve did a great job... :applause:

(I think a trip to the barn may have been a canvas adjustment)

Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:16 pm

That was really cool. I am in talks with my father in law about farming a few acres next year. I want to do it all with my old equipment just for fun. I have a 10' disk and 4 row planter all IH. I have yet to get the 2 MH picker out of the shed yet, I would like to harvest with it. The sheller will be just throwing it in the combine later??

Good video, looks like a lot of fun time together, wish I could have made it to see it all.

On another note, I think I have 2 of those canvas' in the shed, NOS from grandpa's store. I will check to make sure.

Take care and enjoy.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 pm

The one I spotted close to home last fall had the engine positioned crossways and had the tank. Probably a newer model - didn't follow up on it and it got away! I'm out of shed space anyway! Dusty B

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Dusty B wrote: the engine positioned crossways . . .

Probably a model 62.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:41 pm

Dusty B wrote:The one I spotted close to home last fall had the engine positioned crossways and had the tank. Probably a newer model - didn't follow up on it and it got away! I'm out of shed space anyway! Dusty B

Was it streamlined like the 52R or more box-y? The 64 and 76 both had cross-wise motors. Early 64's used a Cub engine.

Al

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:19 am

Right spiffy video :!: Thanks to operators and photographer for a great history of harvesting.
Soybeans :?:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:03 am

Man, that makes me really sad I wasn't able to attend. I would really have loved to see that combine operate. Maybe next year!