Extra parts in the oil pan

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:36 pm

I have a slight knock at high RPMs on my 67 so I decided to drop the oil pan and check for sludge and chunks of medal. And look what I found.

When I saw these I decided I better pull the valve cover expecting to find a loose spring or worst. Well everything looks in order. All eight valves seem to have clips and the springs appear to be connected.
I guess someone just dropped these clips and didn't go to the effort to fish them out of the oil pan.
To diagnose the knocking I tried to move the rod ends and all were very tight with no movement in any directions I could detect. Except for number 4. I could move it front and back maybe 2 or 3 thous. but that all. I went ahead and pulled the rod cap to check the crank. It looked great with no wear I could detect without micing it. The inserts were still std inserts and it showed no wear I could detect. I decided to go ahead and replace the #4 insert only because it would move a little and the others wouldn't move at all.
Except for the extra parts there was very little sludge or "mud" in the pan. Overall the engine looks pretty clean inside.
Roy
I having trouble getting the images to load. It's just an "age" thing I'm sure.
Finally got the pictures to load. Operator errors!!
Last edited by Roy47 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Extra parts in the oil pan

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Roy, your pictures are not showing, but it is not unusual to drop the keepers when doing a valve job, and some people just leave them there and put in new ones. A good practice is to stuff rags, etc. in the holes in the holes in the bottom of the chamber before working on the valves, because it is almost guaranteed you will drop at least one, normally more. As to the knock to see if it is a rod bearing, you need to use Plastigauge to check the clearance, but by your description it may also be a carbon build up on the head or piston or both, that is hitting.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks John, I sure hope it's just a carbon build up. I don't know what's going on with the pictures. I'm still working on them.
I'm doing the same thing I always do I think. Not to sure anymore about anything.
Roy

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:36 pm

They show up fine for me in Opera.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:07 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:As to the knock to see if it is a rod bearing, you need to use Plastigauge to check the clearance, but by your description it may also be a carbon build up on the head or piston or both, that is hitting.

I agree with John on the Plastigauge. That is the only way to really know what clearance you have between your bearings, crankshaft and rods.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 pm

You possibly have wrist pin slop causing the knock. I had about 0.002 clearance on the wrist pins on the parts Lo Boy, but put it back together anyway. It has a very slight knock that I'm sure is from that. Power is good, though.....
Low oil pressure would be a sign of bottom end clearance issues.

Solution to the keepers in the pan - have the pan off when you put the keepers in. Fat fingers dropped a couple of them when going back together myself.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Knock could possibly be a Broken crankshaft would not be the first one I have seen. Hey Denny :big afro:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Ralph wrote:Knock could possibly be a Broken crankshaft would not be the first one I have seen. Hey Denny :big afro:

:thumbsup: