This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

my first cub question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
garyp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12075

my first cub question

Postby garyp » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:13 pm

I'm trying to widen the width of the front end ,when i bought the tractor the left side was out three holes and right side only two so i'm trying to move out the right side to match . where i'm stuck is the steering rod, I can not slide out the inner rod it is stuck .also the rod is a little bent.Do you think heating it up would help
IMG_2754.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: my first cub question

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:22 pm

A little heat will certainly loosen things up, I prefer heat as a last resort since it can reduce the toughness of the metal in some cases and because open flame can be dangerous.

Try PB Blaster, Kroil, WD before reaching for the flame wrench.

As far as straightening out the bent end, yes heat would be my first choice vs. A cold bend. However I would suggest removing it from the tube and threading a couple of nuts on the end, clamping the nuts in the vise then proceeding with the heating and straightening process. Good luck.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Peter Person » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:47 pm

Gary,
Bent tie-rods are pretty common as they are very vulnerable.
I was wanting to do a front end alignment however mine would not slide apart due to a slight bend so last fall at CubFest Northeast I used Cecil's press and straightened them out, no heat, and soaked them good with Kroil. They gradually came apart. Once apart a good cleaning/derusting and put back together with anti-sieze, and then onto the alignment.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

garyp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12075

Postby garyp » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks , but just had a friend help and he put some heat on it and we got it out to the next noch, now just letting it cool down, Thanks again

Return to “Farmall Cub”