This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hand Controls for Clutch and Brake

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hand Controls for Clutch and Brake

Postby tst » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Here is a picture of a cub with hand controls, this was a platform style come where they stand on the back and reworked the controls
Tim
Attachments
pcub3.jpg
pcub2.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Landreo wrote:A cub may not be a good tractor to convert.
I have Grandfather's a 1936 WC Allis Chalmers. Foot controlled clutch and two hand levers to operate the brakes. For some operations you literally ran out of hands; trying to steer, apply both brakes at the same time, throttle down and control the clutch.

To make things worse the magneto ignition kill switch is on the side of the magneto.

Thinking you will need to move the ignition kill/shut off switch much closer to the operator than it currently is located on a Cub.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:34 pm

I think you've got plenty of good ideas that will work. If you don't think you have the engineering skills, you might see if there is a local junior college or university with a mechanical engineering program. This might be a good project for a student, especially if the end product isn't needed until planting season next year.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Hydraulic components are easy to obtain however you have to remember if you lose your engine power, you've lost your brakes and clutch unless of course you add a hydraulic accumulator which adds expense and extra weight to the project.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:43 pm

For what it is worth, you may want to consider the AgrAbility Project. Unfortunately Mississippi does not have an ongoing AgrAbility Project, however, you may get some help, you never know.

This is the link to the home page http://www.agrability.org/index.cfm
From their toolbox link, http://www.agrability.org/Toolbox/browse.cfm?head=11#l1_2 Lots of things for farm/agricultural people with disabilities. As an example, I found these for Hand-Controlled Tractor Clutches:
Air-Operated Clutch
Automotive Parking Brake-Type Clutch Lever
Dual-Control Hand Clutch
Electrically Actuated Clutch
Finger-Controlled Electric Clutch
Latching Relay Solenoid
Mini-Touch Vehicle Control Pad
Over-Center Locking Hand Clutch
Quick Detachable Clutch Lever

I’m not sure that your local Cooperative Extension Service will be of much help, on this particular issue, since Mississippi does not have a AgrAbility Project, However, they should be an excellent source of production information. Fringe benefit, they are in your home town, right here:
Physical Address
382 Ripley Ave.
Ashland, MS 38603

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 158
Ashland, MS 38603-0158

Contact Information
Phone 662-224-6330
Fax: 662-224-6317
Email: benton@ext.msstate.edu

Hope this may be of some help.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Tubby Creek Farm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38603
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Landreo wrote:As Eugene stated. A cub may not be a good tractor to convert.

The concept is easy, the devil is in the details. Converting a tractor to hand controls would be simple, doing it safely in a way that was reliable is a bit harder.

Lots of links on google but I could find none for a cub. I still will push the Sheperd center that I linked above. They work on things like you describe as well as the much more complicated. They will have the experience to do it right and may have sources of funding that you may be able to take advantage of.

I know some folks like to bash Home Depot for some reason but the founder gives an amazing amount to charity including the Sheperd center to help fund project surch as yours. I have no connection to the Sheperd center other than touring their facility years ago and have several very happy patients that were evaluated and treated there. You have nothing to loose by asking their advice. They may be able to help directly or steer you to the appropriate folks that can help. No reason to reinvent the wheel when what you want to do has already been done safely by experts in that area.

I actually know several at the Shepard Center. They are looking into ideas too. I even have some contacts with the Agrability programs around the country.

Yeah the Cub might be a bit difficult, but I'm really liking some ideas I'm getting from you guys. I have been reading and posting on here for about a year now. I knew if I asked this group there would be some great ideas.

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Wow what great response!!
I first thought use the plow handle - until I realized that you wanted to plow as well....scratch that.
The area under the floor pan would be great for either cylinders with bellcranks hooked to the pedals or go through 2 bellcranks and end up beside the seat with a vertical or horizontal motion. Angles may end up being an issue. Another thing for me to ponder while I'm resting....

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Two thoughts:
1) Tractor use is in a vegetable/truck farm. You don't want to loose all the crop clearance to aparatus under the platform.
2) Choose a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. The functions of clutch, brakes and shifter are already combined in one lever.

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Two thoughts:
1) Tractor use is in a vegetable/truck farm. You don't want to loose all the crop clearance to aparatus under the platform.
2) Choose a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. The functions of clutch, brakes and shifter are already combined in one lever.

I would have to go with Jim on this. Sometimes we get wrapped up in the excitement of problem solving, cause thats what we do best, but theres not need to reinvent the proverbial wheel. A hydrostatic transmission with.a hand control would cover every problem mentioned here.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:34 am

Tubby Creek Farm wrote: The diversity of the cub has fit our needs. Especially now that we got it running right it's been a great little tractor.

I interpreted the owners original post as a request to stick with the cub because it suited their needs. A hydrostatic unit would certainly need far less creativity to adapt to the owners unique requirements, however along with the expense of a newer tractor would also come the cost of the implements as we know the owners current stock of implements are for the most part, cub specific.

I would still have to favor the air operated, under platform mounted actuation cylinders (tractor trailer 5th wheel slider cylinders come to mind if you are familiar with their size and strength) with quick release valves and a compact 3 lever control valve assembly above the original engine speed and touch control levers. When the build is complete, the only noticeable modification to the tractor would be the control valve leaving the tractor in its original configuration for hand or foot operators.

A good fabricator could build the operating mechanism along with a crop skid plate under the operators platform and still maintain the original crop clearance with the rear axle housing still lower than the retrofit with the exception of the airtank which could be fender or hood mounted.

My only question would be how to spin the air compressor if the owner wanted to mow utilizing the PTO which I was going to drive the compressor with. Other than mowing, all farming tasks could still be accomplished with this type of retrofit as the owner mentioned his wife currently runs the tractor so hooking up or changing implements would not be a problem.

The owner questioned if electric actuation would work. While I am not well versed in their capabilities, it would solve the air compressor dilemma but perhaps add charging system capacity issues. Personally I'm just not sure if they would act fast enough for what we are asking of them. I would suggest avoiding hydraulic systems because of the oil and associated leaks inherit with hydraulics as well as the brake failure and loss of clutch control in the event of an engine stall.

I feel the cub would be a fantastic tractor for the owner to farm with since they already own it, it is very versatile plus would be easy to retrofit since all 3 pedals are on the same shaft and easy to attach actuators to.

When comparing the cost of the alteration to the replacement of equipment, the difference while not ashtray change, is significant.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:35 am

I've been giving this some more thought all day yesterday. I think the least expensive way, and most practical way would be to use some good quality Morse type control cables(used on boat steering,wrecker controls, pto controls, etc.). They would flex any way need to connect to both the levers I mentioned and also curve around and connect to the brake and clutch pedals(with mounting brackets at both ends to mount the housing ends. With a couple of mounting brackets at certain points to support the heavier cables, flexing would be minimal. The cables could attach to the pedals in a way to still allow them to work normally if needed, and could be attached to the levers at a point to increase leverage for ease of use with the left arm. I have this all pictured in my brain and even had a dream about it last night :shock: Thanks for that Randy :lol:

Hydrostat -------------------------"It's a Cub thing. You wouldn't understand" You guys give up too easy :-:-):
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:49 am

Rick Prentice wrote:Hydrostat -------------------------"It's a Cub thing. You wouldn't understand" You guys give up too easy :-:-):

Got that right... You read my mind.

Tubby Creek Farm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38603
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Rick Prentice wrote:
Hydrostat -------------------------"It's a Cub thing. You wouldn't understand" You guys give up too easy :-:-):

Yeah, it is a cub thing. Plus we can't fork out the dough for a tractor, implements etc. Thats part of the reason we got the cub.

The cable idea is a good one.

Air actuators sound good, but i do need the flail mower.

I do understand folks safety concerns. My goal is to do the flat, easy but time consuming tasks. I've watched my wife drive the cub and do the work, thinking how, what and can I do it safely. With the right system I'm sure it can be done. Safely.

Everyone, thanks for all the great ideas.

Keep the ideas coming.

I'll keep everyone posted

OneMule
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44864
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1953 Super C
1974 140

Postby OneMule » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Wonder if the over-center hand clutch IH put on some of the W Series tractors could be scaled down to Cub size.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:10 am

Anyone up for a friendly cubfest competition?

Goal: Create hand controls for your cub.
Requirement: Must be able to be moved to another cub.
Requirement: Must not interfere with the use of common cultivating or mowing implements.

Winning design to be shipped to a family in need.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Farmall Cub”