This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gas Cap

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320
Circle of Safety: Y

Gas Cap

Postby thiggy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:52 pm

What is the purpose of the replacement fuel cap offered by IH Case? I have one, but just wondered what it does that the original does not. I don't really care for the look of that honkin' big thing sitting up there.
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Gas Cap

Postby cub47 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Without seeing a picture, I am assuming you have a safety style gas cap installed on your tank. It prevents the build up of internal gasoline vapors inside the tank which can build up pressure and force gas out when opened which can cause a fire if the tractor is running.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:07 pm

Stanley:

The latest one that has all the bugs worked out of it is to prevent spills and possible tractor fires. There was a huge lawsuit a number of years ago because of the older caps failing/faulty seal etc., and Navistar was ordered to supply new safer gas caps for all IH products in the program. Many don't initially like the looks but I much prefer safety and I use the new cap on both of my Cubs. \

If you take your Cub to a show/event and it is a static display you could like a number of others have done - put the original on for the show, but for transport of any kind and use - please use the newer style. We do not want to hear of another Krispy Kub ... :(
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:08 pm

cubguy47 wrote:Without seeing a picture, I am assuming you have a safety style gas cap installed on your tank. It prevents the build up of internal gasoline vapors inside the tank which can build up pressure and force gas out when opened which can cause a fire if the tractor is running.

I've seen it happen on an old ford tractor with the early style cap. Very scary. Thankfully it didn't ignite
Thomas

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:21 pm

I think the new gas caps are a good update. I tried to restore my grandfather's Super A to "like new" condition and appearance, butI had the safety cap painted just as carefully as the other sheetmetal because of the extra margin of safety they provide. Now, in my opinion the notion that the old style caps are automatically dangerous is a load--and a pretty big one--of hooey. If the cap vent and the cap gasket is good the cap will do its job. If pressure builds in the tank because of a plugged cap vent (this has happened twice with me on one of our tractors with the safety cap) you just have to use some common sense about removing the cap---in other words wait 'till the tractor cools off. The guy that sued IH over the old gas caps tried to refuel a hot tractor. In short, the safety caps are designed to protect stupid/impatient people.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 pm

A while back I saw a phone number or web address to contact a company for a new vented replacement cap. Seems like all one needed was the serial of the tractor and they would send you a new one. Maybe someone could post this information again if the program still exist.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Papa's Cub wrote:A while back I saw a phone number or web address to contact a company for a new vented replacement cap. Seems like all one needed was the serial of the tractor and they would send you a new one. Maybe someone could post this information again if the program still exist.

http://ihgascap.com/
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

sammydonnacub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23970
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub with full cultivators

2014 New Holland Workmaster 35 with loader, bush hog, rotary tiller and skid steer attachments

Postby sammydonnacub » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:50 am

Has anyone ever actually received a New cap from this application? I applied in June, 2012 and have heard nothing.. It's OK either way because I don't actually think they OWE me one but it is worth a try I guess.
Besides I purchased a Gas Tank from Boss and One Magically appeared............
Thanks guys for All the Help from this Forum and it's members...Some Good People Here.
Sammy
Sammy and Donna
"Never Give UP!"
49 Farmall Cub
193 Plow
half Disc
Field Cultivator and
Full Cultivator Set

grasser
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46725
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'77 IH Cub
'49 Farmall C w/trip bucket loader
Dad's WD-45

Postby grasser » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:57 am

I applied back in early spring this year and also followed up with a phone call to the number given.
No one knew what I was alking about when I described the cap replacement.
The link was useless to me.
Maybe an IH dealer would be a better place to start?
Justin

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:46 am

Oh, yes, Sammy. I received my free fuel cap from IH several years ago. The question only comes up now that I have the old Cub up and running. I wondered what the advantage was, as my original cap was also vented and has a good gasket. I'll probably request one for the older Cub too, when I get the serial #, but that tractor is at my farm in Miss, and not readily available.
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

OneMule
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44864
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1953 Super C
1974 140

Postby OneMule » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:48 am

I can't remember the exact date, but I have received 2 "New style" fuel caps through the link I found on this site within the last 6 months. In fact, they were delivered within a week from the time I submitted the form. Can't explain why it worked for me and not for you folks...

danmcdonald
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60518

Postby danmcdonald » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:36 am

I have received 11 caps they always show up within two weeks. One of my tractors is missing the serial number tag I noted that and they sent me a cap for that one also. I have them on all my IH/Farmall tractors I just save the old caps on the shelf.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:43 am

First time I requested a cap it didn't come. I called and they told me they can't ship to a P.O. Box. Used my physical address from then on and they arrived very quickly.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:06 am

I applied online and mine was shipped very promptly. I talked to a retired gentleman who worked for an IH dealer for many years and he told me of an incident in Lexington Va. ( approx 40 miles South of me). The tractor operator removed the cap and a fire erupted and he died from the injures, he said this was one of the cases that prompted the development of the "safety" cap.
Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:23 am

If you have submitted the online application and nothing has happened within several months, submit it again.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”