This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wiring help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01516
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub w/ IH C2 mower
50 High wide "demo" cub with dual fertilizer hoppers
51 high wide cub w/474 planter
62 High wide cub w/ fast hitch
72 High wide w/cultivators
75 Red Long stripe w/fast hitch & C2 mower
76 Red long stripe w/IH 1000 loader & duals
77 long stripe with IH C2 belly mower
55 Super AV w/cultivators
56 Super AV
57 130 High crop w/cultivators
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Wiring help

Postby tractordad » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:29 am

I need to rough wire a 6vt cub to be able to run it to get it to Cecils. My dash is so bad I need to find a replacement and don't want to wire this one in just to take it out later. Hoods off, everything's there, I have a harness. Can anyone tell me what is needed just to fire this tractor up? Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Re: Wiring help

Postby Chris D » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 am

If it's a 6volt magneto cub the you just need to jump the starter with the battery directly and just make sure the switch wire from the mag is open. If it's a points/coil cub then all you need is a battery with a wire running to the + side of the coil from the battery, ground the other side of the battery to the tractor, and a quick set of jumper cables to engage the starter should have it running. To turn it off simply unhook the wire going to the coil or unground the battery. Just make sure none of your other wires like the generator wires are in the way or touching metal.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:36 am

If the battery cable is connected to the starter - you will need a wire from the terminal on the starter to the ignition coil. Some sort of switch installed in the wire going to the coil. You might just as well use the dash mounted ignition switch.

I would loosen or remove the old dash then reinstall it. I would install the new wiring harness using the old dash.

The most time consuming thing will be removing the dash, switches, and gauge, for the first time. Once everything has been removed and reinstalled the actual dash exchange won't take very long.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
56 Super AV
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:59 am

Eugene wrote:If the battery cable is connected to the starter - you will need a wire from the terminal on the starter to the ignition coil. Some sort of switch installed in the wire going to the coil. You might just as well use the dash mounted ignition switch.

I would loosen or remove the old dash then reinstall it. I would install the new wiring harness using the old dash.

The most time consuming thing will be removing the dash, switches, and gauge, for the first time. Once everything has been removed and reinstalled the actual dash exchange won't take very long.

There is no wiring on the tractor other than the plug wires to the plugs. Generator is on. Still need to install coil and voltage regulator. Battery cable to starter is easy to do. I do have both a single pole and dual pole on off switch. I assume my push pull on off switch goes between the starter to the coil. I assume I need to second wire from the coil to the dist. My impression this will be running on battery power wired as such.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:06 am

Generators do not like to be run without a battery load. While it is not an absolute necessity, I would also wire up the regulator to the generator and a wire from the bat. term of regulator to the starter switch so current from generator has some place to go.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
56 Super AV
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:18 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Generators do not like to be run without a battery load. While it is not an absolute necessity, I would also wire up the regulator to the generator and a wire from the bat. term of regulator to the starter switch so current from generator has some place to go.

Which side of the starter switch?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:31 am

battery side (should only be one connection on a 6 volt cub unless the starter has been changed/modified), so current from regulator/generator goes to the battery. If it had a regulator from the factory (you didn't mention year), It would have originally had a wile from the L term of the regulator to the light switch/amp meter, but running one from the bat terminal to the starter connection or from the L term to the starter either one will provide a path for the current to the battery to get you by until it is redone properly..

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:32 am

Depends on what you want to accomplish on the tractor before installing the new wiring harness.

Remove the belt from the generator and fan. Don't wire up the regulator and generator if you just want to get the tractor running.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:33 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Generators do not like to be run without a battery load. While it is not an absolute necessity, I would also wire up the regulator to the generator and a wire from the bat. term of regulator to the starter switch so current from generator has some place to go.

As long as the generator F terminal isn't hooked to anything, the generator will be OK.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:36 am

Jim Becker wrote:

As long as the generator F terminal isn't hooked to anything, the generator will be OK.
Since he said he still had to install generator and regulator I assumed (I know, bad thing to do) he would wire them together.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:41 am

Generator is on. Still need to install coil and voltage regulator.
Assumptions on my part also.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Postby Chris D » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:44 am

Provided the coil is hooked to the distributor already all you need to run a cub is a pair of jumper cables, a 6ft piece of 12ga wire and it should run. However I wouldnt use this method longer than to load on a trailer or unload or move around the barn :D

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
56 Super AV
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:52 am

Eugene wrote:Depends on what you want to accomplish on the tractor before installing the new wiring harness.

Remove the belt from the generator and fan. Don't wire up the regulator and generator if you just want to get the tractor running.

Removing the belt from the generator is a major task, the generator will be running.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:01 am

tractordad wrote:Removing the belt from the generator is a major task, the generator will be running.
As Jim stated, as long as the regulator is not hooked to the generator you will be ok.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years