This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Antifreeze in Carburetor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mikcap
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06470

Antifreeze in Carburetor

Postby mikcap » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:54 am

I think I have a problem here. 1954 cub. Battery was dead and the starter wasn't working so I tried to jump it (pop the clutch) in 3rd gear. This resulted in a mixture of gas and antifreeze spraying from the exhaust then draining back through the carburetor. No previous issues. Used the tractor this past Spring.
What am I looking at here? Appreciate any input.
Mike in CT.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Antifreeze in Carburetor

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Mike:

Part of it sounds like a cracked head gasket/head to me - the part with the coolant coming out - probably via the exhaust valves. The fuel part doesn't quite make sense -- except of course it didn't fire so possibly the unburnt fuel was ejected out the exhaust valves at the same time as the coolant. Others with more experience with engines will be along to offer advice.

So, you are going to have to pull the hood and replace it. While you are in there probably time to check on other issues. Suggest you follow the links below - all the Service Manuals are in the Manuals link above and below as well.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Adding a second opinion, I also agree head/head gasket failure.

If you had your tractor running this spring, had it protected against freezing, and didn't overheat it, I'd lean towards head gasket failure and not a cracked head.

Pulling a tractor for a long distance in gear is the closest thing to the engine running without it running. At towing speed, there is plenty of vacuum or suction created at the carburator to draw the same amount of fuel through the engine as if it were running if the fuel delivery system and carburator are functioning as they should. Of course if it doesn't light, up the chimney the unburned gasoline, now condensed back to liquid form goes.

If your head gasket has failed in a spot allowing coolant to run into 2 adjoining cylinders, I suspect your no start was because those cylinders were being extinguished and could not fire.

Hopefully the gasoline/coolant mixture did not wash down your cylinder walls to the extent of scoring or excessive piston ring wear, one disadvantage of pull starting. Cranking an engine is accomplished at a much lower rpm and the battery normally gives out before it is cranked long enough to do cylinder wall damage.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

mikcap
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06470

Postby mikcap » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Thank you both. I thought that might have been the problem (gasket) but was hoping I was wrong. Too bad because I was going to bring it up from the barn so I could sell it since I'm moving and can't take it with me. That's become a bit of a problem now I guess.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:32 pm

You are most welcome, glad to help troubleshoot your problem. Sorry we didn't have better news for you but it is what it is.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Suggest that you post in our For Sale Cubs sub-forum your Cub. Explain what the suspected problems is - refer back to this thread. For many of us a head gasket replacement is an easy task - an afternoon of enjoyment in the barn. Same with the head. If it is done as well these are available and again it is a nice afternoon in the barn.

Remember though that a non-running Cub is going to go for far less than one that is fully functional. The only way to ensure that there is no damage to the cylinder walls is to pull the

Unfortunately that is the way the ball bounces at times.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:34 pm

Valve over lap. Both the intake and exhaust valve are both open at the same time for about 15 degrees of the combustion cycle. It is quite possible for fluid to be pushed out both the exhaust and intake at the same time.

Couple of potential problems, besides the head gasket. Hydrostatic lock bending connection rod(s) and coolant draining into the crankcase.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:34 pm

Bring your Cub to Cubfest Northeast this weekend and get it checked out.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=73502
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Now that is an idea :D Then we can get a first hand look at it. Didn't realize you were close to Cecil's

Return to “Farmall Cub”