This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cheap And Dirty Lawn Rake

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Goraidh (Jeff)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04236
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub "Jessie"
'64 Cub "Alex"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cheap And Dirty Lawn Rake

Postby Goraidh (Jeff) » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:49 pm

Ricky, your laziness is something to behold. Great rake.
'49 Cub (#77786) "Jessie"
"64 Farmall Cub (#224657) "Alex"
Woods 42C-6
C-3 mower
Cub 54 Blade
193 Moldboard plow
Cub L-38 disc harrow
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cordwood Saw

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:02 am

Great project. Makes raking fun--whooda thought! :lol:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

olebluegrassboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42378
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub, 55 Farmall 100, 35 10-20 mc cormick

Postby olebluegrassboy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:29 am

This isn't lazy, a lazy man would't take the time to go to the shop and build something this good. A lazy man would sit on the front porch drinking a beer while watching his grass die under all those leaves. I know, because there have been a couple of times that I was that lazy man!
Dale
"It's better to regret the things you've done than the things you didn't do."
Still can't help to think "Wish I hadn't of done that!"

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 am

Claycomb wrote:...A lazy man would sit on the front porch drinking a beer while watching his grass die under all those leaves...

You guys don't know what lazy is! I just sit on the porch and drink beer while Rosie rakes the leaves. The only time she stops is when she goes in to get me another beer. I am beginning to enjoy her retirement more than mine.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:52 am

Cool Ricky

Great idea. Now I know what to do with all those spring teeth I got to make a horse pie buster spreader before I got a drag mat.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Re: Cheap And Dirty Lawn Rake - UPDATE

Postby ricky racer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:48 pm

When I first built the rake and tried it out it worked fairly well. I raked some leaves in my backyard which I documented with pictures in the first post. Those leaves were dry and didn't rake too badly. The raking action is not as good as raking by hand. By that I mean you can't expect as good of job of raking as raking by hand, however it moved a lot of leaves out of my yard which I piled up in the field. I never expected it to do as good of a job as hand raking but I wanted some way to get the leaves out of the yard without hand raking or blowing them. I am happy with the results.

Yesterday, I again when out to rake the leaves that fell during the recent rain storm. This time the leaves were wet and the rake did not perform nearly as well as it did with dry leaves. They had a tendency to roll under the rake and although it did move the leaves out of the yard and into the field, it took quite a few more times over the area to get it done. I just wanted to post this to provide full disclosure regarding it's performance.

Anyway, I think I will find more uses for the rake including dethatching my yard and preparing areas in my yard that I plan on seeding with new grass this spring. We'll see.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44333
Tractors Owned: Farmall cub 56-Spartacus
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub L-F1 Platform Carrier
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Nice lawn rake fabrication, great idea! :D

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:13 pm

RR...

You've gotta be kidding' me! I just finished building mine last night... Boo!

Kidding of course... Mine is a little narrower and with less tines per inch as I didn't have a bunch of extra tines in stock.

I, like yourself, tried it dry this morning and was pleased. It's wet out there now but I'll tell you something, it is easier for me to swing the shifter back and forth to make extra strokes than it is to stroke the rake handle or the leaf blower!

Thanks again for the idea, I have time to watch the leaves dry if it is that big a deal.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ricky racer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 pm

lazyuniondriver wrote:RR...

You've gotta be kidding' me! I just finished building mine last night... Boo!

Kidding of course... Mine is a little narrower and with less tines per inch as I didn't have a bunch of extra tines in stock.

What!!! No pictures??????? :big give up:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:55 pm

ricky racer wrote:

What!!! No pictures??????? :big give up:

RR.... My only quality cam is on my cell. Unfortunately the file size exceeds the upload limit with no way to reduce the pixelation.

My son recently started using Picasso but he's at sea and won't be back for a while but wants to hook me up so the whole family is on Picasso.

Of course I snapped a pic so if you'd like to see it, shoot me an email address

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:00 am

lud:

Read these and go get IrfanView. It is free and very useful.

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:39 am

Rudi...
.. I actually did peruse over those links a couple of days ago after attempting to upload a picture only to be shot down because it was too big.

I attempted to open a Photobucket account utilizing an app on my cell but that went nowhere fast as well.

I'll look into IrfanView tomorrow and see if that works out better for me.

Thanks for the tip.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:52 am

1350554980-picsay.jpg
Lazyuniondriverake
1350554980-picsay.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 480 times

I found software on my phone that apparently trims enough of the pic off to make it acceptable

My budget version of the rake utilized a pickup truck bed extender which a neighbor gave me a few years ago. The opposite end of the square tube beam that slides into the trailer hitch is laid on its side and bolted to the drawbar with 2 bolts. (One 5/8 hole drilled here, one hole from factory for pin)

The T bar which slid over the piece now bolted parallel to the drawbar slides on the straight end with another 5/8 " hole drilled for the pin.

The tines are screwed with flat washers into a 2x4. This was the prototype to test if it would rake with so few tines. It did so I decided to mount the 2x4 to the T bar so I wouldn't have to drill so many holes and aquire through bolts because I'm lazy. 2 bolts hold the wood to the T bar.

The tines were scavenged from a snapper dethatcher, another gift from somewhere.

The drawbar lift chain was already set up so I can back under my trailers to move them by scooping the tongue off the ground without getting off and cranking because I am lazy.

There is about a 12" adjustment where the T bar slides onto the main beam which somewhat adjusts the weight or pressure on the tines after the drawbar drops to its lowest position. Of course the tines raked the ground at the wrong angle and needed to be bent.

If the wood tine base doesn't work out, I will simply remove it and drill a hole for each tine directly into the T bar

The rake is 50" wide.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:24 am

Nice job Rick! It looks nice and sturdy and does a good job. Well thought out. It also looks like all new steel, I'm guessing about $100 worth of new steel?? I like it, I might have to build one of my own! I think I'll put "wings" on the ends sorta like a snow plow would have and allow for it to angle a bit. I have a huge amount of leaves to deal with, I live in the middle of a sugar maple grove. I've tried all kinds of ideas but this seems to work well and you don't get off the tractor to "unload" leaves, simple is usually better after all.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ricky racer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:04 pm

lazyuniondriver wrote:
1350554980-picsay.jpg

I found software on my phone that apparently trims enough of the pic off to make it acceptable

My budget version of the rake utilized a pickup truck bed extender which a neighbor gave me a few years ago. The opposite end of the square tube beam that slides into the trailer hitch is laid on its side and bolted to the drawbar with 2 bolts. (One 5/8 hole drilled here, one hole from factory for pin)

The T bar which slid over the piece now bolted parallel to the drawbar slides on the straight end with another 5/8 " hole drilled for the pin.

The tines are screwed with flat washers into a 2x4. This was the prototype to test if it would rake with so few tines. It did so I decided to mount the 2x4 to the T bar so I wouldn't have to drill so many holes and aquire through bolts because I'm lazy. 2 bolts hold the wood to the T bar.

The tines were scavenged from a snapper dethatcher, another gift from somewhere.

The drawbar lift chain was already set up so I can back under my trailers to move them by scooping the tongue off the ground without getting off and cranking because I am lazy.

There is about a 12" adjustment where the T bar slides onto the main beam which somewhat adjusts the weight or pressure on the tines after the drawbar drops to its lowest position. Of course the tines raked the ground at the wrong angle and needed to be bent.

If the wood tine base doesn't work out, I will simply remove it and drill a hole for each tine directly into the T bar

The rake is 50" wide.

I like it. I always enjoying seeing what guys can come up with using what they have available to them. It looks like a very well thought out unit. Not bad for a lazy guy. I can relate.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”