This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wiring for a cutout!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gpcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17040
Tractors Owned: 1947 farmall H
1951 farmall CUB

Wiring for a cutout!

Postby gpcub » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 pm

I am in the process of rewiring my Cub and made my own harness. My light switch is a three position and my generator has a cutout instead of a voltage regulator. Do I need a 4 position switch or can wire it with the 3 position? Any suggestions?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Wiring for a cutout!

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:47 pm

You can use the 3 position, by wiring the F term of the generator to the FLD term of the cutout, but you will only have low charging, approximately 2 to 3 amps. Are you sure it is a 3 position switch? A 4 position will only click 3 times, misleading some people. It may be cheaper to buy a saddle mount regulator and use it on the generator.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

gpcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17040
Tractors Owned: 1947 farmall H
1951 farmall CUB

Postby gpcub » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Pretty sure John. I have a 51 and replaced the motor with one off a Fremont generator so I used all the engine parts to include the mag and generator with a cutout relay. The Tractor will only be used for show so low amp charge should be fine. I have a voltage regulator I could put it back on if it works. Thanks for the info.

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby birddog » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Depending on how you wire the cut out, it doesn't matter which switch you use. All the cut out does is keep the generator from discharging the battery when the tractor isn't running and allow the generator to charge the battery when it is running. If you want to regulate the amount of charge, then you need a regulator or a switch with a resister to cut down the amount of charge. I think that is what a 4 position switch does.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”