This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission Noise

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320
Circle of Safety: Y

Transmission Noise

Postby thiggy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Now that I am driving my Cub a little bit for the first time in years, I am noticing a "click,click'click" noise while in both first gear and reverse. The noise seems to be coming from the gear box area, so I assume the transmission. I would like to remove the transmission cover, but I am hesitant to do so, as I do not have a new gasket to replace the original. I wish that I knew an experienced Cub owner in my area that I could let listen to the machine and give me an idea what the problem may be. Absent that, do any of you fine folks have any suggestion about how I might diagnose the problem? As a matter of interest, several weeks ago when I replaced the oil in my tranny, rear end, and finals (is that redundant?), the old oil was free of water, not especially dark, and had no solid matter in it.
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Transmission Noise

Postby cub47 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:24 pm

I would not hesitate to pull the shifter cover off, a new gasket can always be installed at a later time.

Check for missing or broken teeth within, that is most likely the cause of your problem.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Transmission Noise

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 pm

Stanley:

Agree with Brian on this one. Remove the shifter cover and look inside for chipped or broken teeth. But while you are doing that check the forks and make sure that they are not loose.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”