This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Noisy transmission ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Noisy transmission ?

Postby Bezirk » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:50 am

I have a Cub with what I think is a bad transmisssion input shaft bearing. The noise is present in both forward and reverse and worse in lower forward gears. The transmission was full of water when I bought it, I have not yet flushed it, have only filled it with fluid. What is the best flush liquid, ( I assume kerosene ) ?
What is the best way to narrow down which bearing , bearings are defective ?
Thanks, Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Re: Noisy transmission ?

Postby challenger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:07 am

I have a similar issue with one of my Cubs that has had problems since I bought it two years ago. I am resigned to tackling it this winter as an overhaul project. One can guess on these things, but the only way you will know for sure what needs rebuilding is to take the tranny apart and do a thorough rebuild. In my opinion, it is not the sort of thing you want to do on a piece meal basis if you can avoid it. My tractor is useable so it isn't an immediate crisis, but the transmission is clearly calling for attention.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:28 pm

I find that they all need to be changed when you strip them down and check the imput shaft where the rear bearing rides, I have seen many worn and pitted so that makes a lot of noise also so the shaft sometimes get changed, if the water has been in for a long time check the diff bearings for pitting also
Tim

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Someone called me 'cheap' but the way I look at it once you have it on the table, all the bearings and seals should be replaced. If you want to follow in my footsteps, I even am replacing the all the gears with a Cadet tranny from Art. Trouble is, the cost is what some people think is a 'fair price' for a Cub. (not naming any names). And that is a tranny that had what looked to be pure Hy Tran in it.

Cub bearings are very stout and way over-spec for today's stuff, but water WILL cause problems with bearings eventually. Put the O ring on the shifter too.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Oh yeah, the only problem was it made a loud rattle noise in 3rd. That was the shifter fork, but it was welded on so I had to cut it, along with the rail. Pretty well gotta flush the whole mess, so that's why a complete disassemble. One day I will tell you about the 'mushroom theory'.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”