This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Cub not best for cultivating but ?????

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rexxon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21853
Circle of Safety: Y

Farmall Cub not best for cultivating but ?????

Postby rexxon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:11 pm

I have benn cultivating with this Cub for a few years and thought it was the greatest but after cultivating with my 140HC for a little while I realize that the Cub is not in the same league with the 140 but as you can see I have a work in progress for a spray rig. The tank was free as well as the three point hitch it is mounted to kept it all together and mounted it on the cultivator bars by turning the clamps around. I will mount the pump up high on the aluminum plate. So far I have about $35 in it just need a pump and I am in business. I will use this rig to side dress dry fertilizer, insect control, and liquid fertilizer. What do you guys think?????????

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Farmall Cub not best for cultivating but ?????

Postby Barnyard » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:21 pm

rexxon wrote:What do you guys think?????????

My honest opinion is get rid of the green machine decal on the tank. Other than that it just might work. Personally I like the Cub for cultivating but that might because I don't have a 140. :)
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey it is all according to how much cultivating you have to do. Now that I sold the farm even a Cub is too big.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Watch the weight of that tank-you may get real light up front.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

rexxon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rexxon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:10 pm

I should only ever need about 20 gallons of liquid at most so I should be O.K.

DavidG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20132
Tractors Owned: 1972 IH Cub
1976 IH Cub
1979 IH 884

Postby DavidG » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Why do you like the 140 vs. the Cub for cultivating? I thought about a 140, but came back to the Cub.

More power? Though probably the Cub is rarely underpowered for cultivating. Rr wider possible wheel-spacing for cultivating two rows at a time? And separate front+rear hydraulics sure seem handy.

140 weighs almost twice as much as a Cub. I like the idea of being able to get into the field after a rain sooner with a Cub, to be able to get on the ground when the conditions are perfect.

-David
Vegetable farming with a Cub, http://www.secondspringcsa.com

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:46 pm

The Cub has advantages and disadvantages. So do the the Super A/100/130/140. I have had the opportunity to use both and here is how I see it:

CUB advantages: Small, light, and nimble. It can move at a near-snail's pace in first gear at an idle and not cover small plants. It can run reasonably fast to really move the dirt when it's needed.

disadvantages: Only two working speeds. Sometimes the tractor is too light--I have seen it "dog trot" down the row when it wasn't spaced right with the previous row and you need the right or left wheels out of the center of ther row middle. And the big one: only one Touch Control (or manual lift) circuit. This means to cultivate the whole row, you have to travel 3-4 feet past the end of the row. If the garden is at the edge of the yard, or near a ditch, driveway, etc. this can cause problems.

SUPER A-100-140 advantages: Three working speeds. More horsepower and faster. (You can really roll on and sling the dirt in 3rd) Little bit heavier tractor "holds to the row" better. Two hydraulic circuits so you can raise/lower the front and rear sections independently. Overall more versatile for other applications besides cultivating (540 RPM pto, better power, etc. As Boss Hog says, "You can actually farm with one").

disadvantages: will burn a little more gas, tractor is a little bit bigger and bulky. I really can't think of anything else.

I like them both, but if I could only have one it would be the Super A.

PS that is a neat spray-rig! I am thinking that JD liquid tank is about like finding a hen's tooth as most probably rusted out years ago. We used to have a planter with fertilizer hoppers that were shaped just like that. Looks about right--lots of IH tractors pulled JD planters around here....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:54 pm

You have to remember the cub was better than a walking behind a horse in the late 40's. The cub series of tractors has its limitations but for what the tractor was marketed for, did a pretty good job.

It did what it was designed to do and also a whole lot of things owners asked of them which should have been delegated to larger tractors.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

rexxon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rexxon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:45 am

I like the hydraulic front and back on the 140, it is heavier but I find that to help here because the ground is so sandy that the Cub's rear wheel break loose, but the 140 does not. One thing I really like about the 140HC is if someone down the road wants me to do some work for them it does not take long to get there, I don't know how fast that thing is but to be honest its too fast. One thing that is better about the Cub is that implements are easy to find and most were not abused or used enough to be worn out.
Stuff for Super "A's to 140's aroung here were just flat out used up. Believe me I am not downing the Cub, I grew up on one but as far as just cultivating I like the 140HC better. But as you can see I don't like it better enough to get rid of my Cub

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:19 am

That is a great looking rig you have there! :mrgreen: I'd like to see some more pictures of the Cub with the white hood and white seat. I also like the clean attachment of the 3 pt. tank to the culivator arms. Very well done.

Barnyard wrote:
rexxon wrote:What do you guys think?????????

My honest opinion is get rid of the green machine decal on the tank. Other than that it just might work. :)

I think the John Deere decal only adds to the potential resale valve of the outfit. :lol: :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

rexxon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rexxon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:14 am

That hood it not the correct color for this tractor "close" but not correct its a 1964 and it should be all red but the hood I had on it was not the greatest gas tank and had a bunch of rust in it and was causing me problems. I had this one off of a 1965 and just kept it white. Now don't I wish it was a 64 12 volt white hood high crop, but its not, I even put the wrong decals for the hood as ones for 65 and up were $12 and the ones for 64 down were $37. It seems like the older I get the cheaper I get. But it seems better that way.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 am

lazyuniondriver wrote:You have to remember the cub was better than a walking behind a horse in the late 40's. The cub series of tractors has its limitations but for what the tractor was marketed for, did a pretty good job.

It did what it was designed to do and also a whole lot of things owners asked of them which should have been delegated to larger tractors.

Yes it was, and yes it did. However for many farmers in the '40s, the Super A was their first tractor as well. My grandfather's Super A fell into that category. I daresay that the folks that bought their Cubs were happy, but the Super A owners were happier. I remember several older folks from my childhood, some got Cubs and some like Grandaddy got Super A's. Often as not, the Super A's were still around, the Cubs were traded off for 100's, 130's, or most likely, 140's.

I personally like having both. Makes it easier to pick the best tractor for the job.

And I like that fertilizer tank. I would daresay today it would be considered rare since most rusted out years ago....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall Cub”