This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

what am I doing wrong?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: what am I doing wrong?

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:35 pm

The hood usually bulges out when it has not been attached to the radiator supports, or the bracket on the inside of the hood has popped loose from the hood. I'd suggest taking a bar clamp if you have one, cover the ends with tape if you don't have the rubber covers and use that above the doglegs to gentlely pull both sides in symmetrically. You may also be able to do it by placing a hand on either side and pushing in. With either way, have the grill off, and at least the top of the doglegs unscrewed.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gcbailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24740
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall CUB #62395
'62 Cub Cadet
'69 Cub Cadet 73 w/Haban Sickle bar
'71 Cub Cadet 127
'76 Cub Cadet Sof76
'07 Cub Cadet LT1045
'09 Cub Cadet GT2544

Postby gcbailey » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:00 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:The hood usually bulges out when it has not been attached to the radiator supports, or the bracket on the inside of the hood has popped loose from the hood. I'd suggest taking a bar clamp if you have one, cover the ends with tape if you don't have the rubber covers and use that above the doglegs to gentlely pull both sides in symmetrically. You may also be able to do it by placing a hand on either side and pushing in. With either way, have the grill off, and at least the top of the doglegs unscrewed.

Bob

if you look back on the 1st page, you can see in one of the pics where the hood is bulging out with the dogleg attached, is it possible that the hood is sitting too low and exaggerating the bow effect with the doglegs attached (putting more strain, causing bulging?).

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:04 pm

I picked up a new Ebay grill several years ago that wouldn't come near fitting my cub. Seems a lot of the after markets are just to short to reach the screws.
I'd resale it and start shopping for an original.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:16 pm

If the hood still has the brackets to attach it to the radiator supports, and they are in the correct position, I don't think the hood can be sitting too low. My only other suggestion is to removed the finish washers to make sure the tabs aren't catching on them, and get a friend over with a second pair of hands to help you push/pull things into place. Since this grill is from TM, it should fit correctly, Tom is very picky about the products he sells.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Gary:

I was looking for the How To - on fitting the grille that Bruce Sanford did but it is gone - looks like permanent. However, you really need to lose those washers and get some proper truss head screws for the grille. Tom is extremely picky about the items he stocks to sell to the Cub community. That grille should fit. Jut a matter of figuring out what needs to be done. Took me a couple dozen or so tries to get Ellie's fitted correctly.

The bow is pretty apparent here.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:51 pm

Have you tried mounting the grille to the doglegs, then mounting the doglegs and grille onto the tractor?

gcbailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
'62 Cub Cadet
'71 Cub Cadet 127
'76 Cub Cadet Sof76
'07 Cub Cadet LT1045
'09 Cub Cadet GT2544

Postby gcbailey » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:05 am

Dale Shaw wrote:Have you tried mounting the grille to the doglegs, then mounting the doglegs and grille onto the tractor?

yes....

----------------

I don't remember if I've mentioned it, but has anyone noticed on one of the top view pics of the hood, in my 1st set of posted pictures, how the hood is off from the radiator and air cleaner. Shouldn't the hood be centered over the radiator opening? Maybe I'm just reading too much into it....

I should have some time tomorrow to get back to looking at everything.

@ Rudi.... I've got some truss head screws ordered, Lowe's or TSC doesn't stock any around here, and that's about the only options.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:58 am

Yopu do not have to use truss head screws, washers work fine. That is not the problem. The hood needs to be shifted to the right a bit from looking at the front of the cub, would be to the left setting on the seat. do not be fearfull of getting a bit rough with it :D , crowbar
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

gcbailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
'62 Cub Cadet
'71 Cub Cadet 127
'76 Cub Cadet Sof76
'07 Cub Cadet LT1045
'09 Cub Cadet GT2544

Postby gcbailey » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 am

Boss, but I hate cleaning those paint guns soooooo much! haha.

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:05 am

do what yogie said and get a used one.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:14 am

Boss Hog wrote:The hood needs to be shifted to the right a bit from looking at the front of the cub, would be to the left setting on the seat.

The fit at the radiator neck suggests what Boss said. At least one picture of the grille seems to suggest just the opposite. Use a carpenter's square to check the supports on each side of the radiator, as the radiator itself may be sprung. You will probably find what Boss said is correct. Once you correct the hood alignment, you will probably still need to correct the bulge on each side like I said on Wednesday.

If you think the new grille is somehow defective, try fitting your original grille. Once it fits, you can retry the new one.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:11 am

I have been studying the picture of the front of the cub. I have circled in white where the hood attaches to the radiator supports. As seen in the pic, facing the tractor there is a much greater space between the rad support and the hood on the left side than the right.

The hood needs to be shoved over to the right

At the same time, the radiator suports look to me to be leaning left (as if it had been on its side at one time)

I know I am working off pictures, and could be confused by the angle of the dangle. Heck it is hard without hands on :big smirk: :big smirk:
Attachments
baily.jpg
baily.jpg (76.1 KiB) Viewed 517 times

gcbailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
'62 Cub Cadet
'71 Cub Cadet 127
'76 Cub Cadet Sof76
'07 Cub Cadet LT1045
'09 Cub Cadet GT2544

Postby gcbailey » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:24 am

Dale... the tires are low, one side lower than the other in that pic, I will check that out when I get home.... use washers to correct it?

I will get all that looked it when I get home. Is there any other ways to tell if it's been on its side?

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:47 am

I’m wondering if the bracket that bolts on to the radiator shroud was once broken off at the hood at one time and welded back in the wrong place. I just did one like that. You can see where the bracket was bolted back on after it broke away from the hood.

After the fix.

Return to “Farmall Cub”