This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What would the original tires have been and say on them?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027
Circle of Safety: Y

What would the original tires have been and say on them?

Postby Chris D » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:54 am

I picked up a cub last week and I thought it had recently new tires on it, however after cleaning them up I'm thinking it may have the original tires all the way around and in great shape. Possibly kept in a barn it's whole life. Just wondering how to tell and what tolook for on them. Thanks. Btw it's a 59 model

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: What would the original tires have been and say on them?

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:10 pm

First is to check the brand and size. There were only a limited number of brands used. In '59, original rears would have been 8-24 or 9-24, not 8.3 or 9.5.

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris D » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Rears are Firestone 8-24 and say gum dipped on the side or something like that. Will check when I get home. I believe they may indeed be original but how could they still look new and no cracks and such. Also this tractor still had the cork in most all holes on the tractor including the final drives. It's a very nice tractor just trying to determine it's previous life :mrgreen:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Chris D wrote:Rears are Firestone 8-24 and say gum dipped on the side or something like that.

That sounds like an original tire. Probably has been kept out of the sun/weather.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:54 pm

goodyear "diamond" type tires were from the factory also in the same sizes, I have two unmolested tractors with them that had been garaged all their life with them on it
Tim

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:25 pm

First of all, the disclaimer:

I wasn't there when this tractor rolled off the line in Louisville. I wasn't even born yet.

The old timer I bought this wheel and tire from removed it from his 1951 cub as original equipment and was as proud of it as the day is long because of its near perfect condition and at least 75% of tread remaining.

He was mad as a hornet about his grandson tearing a hole in the other tire warranting the replacement of the pair and one wheel due to rust.

I also ran the possibility of this being a 1951 cub OEM tire by an old time Firestone tire salesman. He checked the serial number against his memory, not against any data base, and claimed from memory he was pretty sure it was original.

Now both these guys are old enough to have been around when this tractor was built but again, this was their recollection as to whether it was an original or not.

IHC could have had more than one tire vendor, I don't know if that was the case either.

If anybody has information that proves the following to be inaccurate, please let me know.

I realize the gentleman that started this thread was looking for 1959 info but this is for the model year 1951.

With that said, I will describe the tire from the top starting with the large "Firestone" lettering and moving clockwise.

The serial number was branded, not molded into the sidewall of the tire and reads as follows: EU030149

Starting at the top of the tire "Firestone" in large letters is molded into the sidewall. The serial number is branded just to the left of that.

Next and 90 degrees to the right and molded in medium size letters: "8.3-24" and below that in smaller print: "On 7" rim 8-24". Below that in larger letters "R-1" then a space then "4 ply rating"
Next line "Made in USA".

90 degrees to the right in larger letters read "Field and Road", in smaller script letters below that: "Gum Dipped" with the Firestone logo between "gum" and "dipped".

90 degrees from the above in medium size letters: " Shock Fortified" and on the next line below in smaller print: -MBDL - 1 80-31088-1

I hope this provides collectors with some sort of benchmark for 1951 factory Firestone rear ag tread tires. Again, please let me know if you have contradicting information.

When looking at your tires, check the inside side wall as the data is usually much crisper because less of the raised lettering has been scrubbed off.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:40 pm

8.3-24 was not a tire measurement used in 1951. If it were original, it would be simply 8-24 as Jim posted above.
Your tire is a replacement.

**Tire Sizing History: http://www.millertire.com/faqs/

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris D » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:29 pm

My tires read the same as the above posted type but mine just say 8-24. I believe the front tires have been replaced at some point though. They are straight 3 rib tires but the outer edges are smooth and not notched.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 pm

And as I said above, there were only a limited number of brands used. But it was more than one. Sometimes you wouldn't even get the same brand on both ends of one tractor.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:01 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:Your tire is a replacement.

**Tire Sizing History: http://www.millertire.com/faqs/

Thank you for your information and informative link.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Return to “Farmall Cub”