This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Neg. ground on Cub LoBoy?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ernie Wagner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Neg. ground on Cub LoBoy?

Postby Ernie Wagner » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:08 am

I am putting a new battery box on my 57 LoBoy and found it to be neg. ground. My regular 51 is positive ground. Shouldn't the LoBoy be positive ground also. I just purchased it a few weeks ago and it has been running fine. Could someone have changed it?Will it harm anything if I put it back with a positive ground. Also how should you charge a positive ground battery? Should it be taken out and charged neg. to neg. and pos. to pos.?Want it correct, would like to find out to put it back together. any help appreciated, Thanks in advance.
Ernie
1951 Farmall Cub, 1957 Farmall Cub LoBoy and most fast hitch impliments and mowers.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:55 am

Ernie, it is not uncommon to find systems connected negative ground since a lot of people have experience with only 12 volt alternator systems which are negative ground. So they connect them the way they are used to seeing them. The system will work either way so as long as it's charging, it's no big deal. If you want to change it over to positive ground, as it should be, just connect it that way and re-polarize the generator before starting the tractor. If the previous owner reversed the ammeter along with the battery, you will have to change that back also. The only other thing you might want to change is the coil primary connections (if they were changed). The side of the coil that connects to the distributor lead (points) should be the same as the battery ground. In other words the primary terminal with the + sign is connected to the distributor if you have a positive ground system. The - terminal should be connected if you have a negative ground system.

Now, as far as charging the battery goes. You do not have to remove the battery to charge it regardless of whether it is pos or neg ground.
The battery charger does not care which terminal is ground. Always connect the charger pos to pos, neg to neg on the battery.

Hope this helps and if something doesn't make sense, let me know.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:35 am

Just to reassure Ernie, there's no "wrong" way as long as it works, unless you're a fanatical purist about things like this.

Without some electrical knowledge, I wouldn't just go swapping the battery cables. You could do more harm than good.

On the charging side, as BD says ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hook pos to pos, and neg to neg. Anything else would be bad, very bad. Haven't seen it myself, but I've heard of batteries exploding from being connected backwards like that.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:32 pm

Back whenever, regulator contacts were made of 2 different materials to reduce burning and transfer. Which material went where was dictated by + or - ground. I suppose makers of cheap regulators today don't bother with those details.

I was only near an exploding battery once, and not that near at the time. Somebody had been trying to crank on an engine. Don't know how much it had cranked, but the battery was evidently quite weak at that point. The guy leaned over the battery to look at something with a lit cigarette . . .

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:47 pm

Yes, Very dangerous things batteries, Exploding Gas and flying acid. Watch out.
I've had one explode in the workshop whilst welding, now they stay outside, we don't have very cold winters, with a regular trickle charge.
Pat

Return to “Farmall Cub”