I've been working on ol' Smokey, it's been a slow process. I got the "new" lower radiator housing and it's generally in good shape but not without a problem. It seems the PO wad issues with the coolant drain plug as well, the head was rounded off. I squared it up so I could get a bite with a 3/8" square socket. I twisted the nub right off
even with heat and Blaster, to no avail I tried to spin it out with a blunt chisel, stuck solid. I thought -
, I really didn't want to drill it out, but that's what I ended up doing. I had to drill it out to nearly the size of the tap drill size before it budged.
To repeat myself from an earlier post... This all started out because I needed to replace the radiator on my Cub. A number of months ago I found and ordered a new radiator, made in Ireland, and looks real nice for $180.00. I took the hood off ond proceeded to drain the radiator (I haven't done that since I've had the tractor) and found a chunk of wood jambed into the drain hole with a bunch of sealer gobbed around it! The casting was broken out where the plug should screw in. Up to that point I thought it was just covered in grease and grime. Upon further inspection, the top of the housing had a bunch of braze and filler as well as a number of hairline cracks where the radiator bolts on. I attemped to clean the brass off to get an idea of how bad it really was, I ended up with a few pieces of the casting in my hand. To my amazement that particular area never leaked.
The area around the shiny spot had several hairline cracks which were brazed and liquid weld as a filler.
The new casting is from a newer Cub and has the reinforcing rib behind the tank.
I scrounged up a 3/8" brass plug so hopefully the next time I won't have these issues.
Now I'm on to replacing the front seal with a speedy sleeve.