This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Diagnosing & Fixing the Steering Play on the 1975 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Diagnosing & Fixing the Steering Play on the 1975 Cub

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:15 pm

The 75 Cub I got a few months back has only got 2 issues. Rusty Front Rims with worn tires, and the steering has some play (about 12-2 or 3) at the steering wheel. The front tires shimmy a little bit too when traveling over rough ground or at fast speeds.

I would like to tackle the steering slop job this weekend.....or at least get it started; but since I've never messed with the steering, then I need some pointers beforehand on diagnosing the potential problem; and how to fix it. I looked in the CBoK, but didn't find anything on Steering.

(Pictures attached for Enjoyment)
Attachments
IMAG1351.jpg
IMAG1352.jpg
IMAG1446.jpg
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Diagnosing & Fixing the Steering Play on the 1975 Cub

Postby cub47 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:28 pm

I would jack up the front end of your Cub and remove the axle and steering gear housing. Check for wear on all parts and gears but more specifically items number 18 and 23. I have had worn thrust washers in the past cause the issue you describe.

But it could also just be a matter of tightening up any play on the nut and cotter key (item number 29).

Do some disassembly and let us know what you find.

Here are Rudi's schematics:

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... -03-12.jpg

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... -03-13.jpg

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:29 pm

The first order of business would be to get an assistant to help you isolate where the play is coming from. Have your assistant operate the steering wheel back and forth through the "play" area while you start at the outer tie rod ends working your way in and finally examining the gearbox.

Next check and service the front wheel bearings if necessary to remove any slop from them. While it is in the air, examine the front axle pivot pin for excessive slop. Take necessary action to repair that if the fore and aft or up and down movement is excessive.

Hopefully only your tie rods and wheel bearings are causing your woes and your gear box is tight enough to give a pass with only a lube change.

Have fun!
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Usually, the sloppy play will come from the steering arm area. That is the arm that sticks out front that the inboard end of the tie rods attach. If the play comes from where the tie rods attach, separate the end by removing the two bolts. There should be a double shim (s) there. The thinner the shim the less play in the tie rod ends. The other play will be an up and down motion at the rear. If play is there, remove the small bolt that acts as a clamp. Then remove the cotter key and tighten the castellation nut as tight as possible. Then back off a notch or two to allow a little play. If this does not remove most of the play, then it is time to go into the steering box. But, most of the time this is all you need to do.

Set the tie rods lengths so the toe-in is 1/4". Check your manual for this procedure.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 am

Thank you all for the great information. Boss Hog called me last night also and gave me your tips exactly Big Hoss. I'm gonna try it this weekend if the weather holds up!

Now all I need to do is get me 2 good front rims and some new front tires and I'll be set!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Return to “Farmall Cub”