This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

49 cub starter/magneto

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
firetech
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: p6c5z5

49 cub starter/magneto

Postby firetech » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:35 pm

hello,
Very much trouble starting my cub! When measuring resistance from ignition post on magneto to ground on machine is it suppose to be a short or open (ignition switch wire disconnected). I tested iginition switch and it works (open/closed) it is only a one wire connection. Seems something must be a miss because if this switch is suppose to short magneto to ground to kill engine and it already is a short when measured from the mag post to tractor frame then do I have a bad mag or what can my problem be. Thanks for any help you can give me.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 49 cub starter/magneto

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:21 pm

firetech wrote:When measuring resistance from ignition post on magneto to ground on machine is it suppose to be a short or open (ignition switch wire disconnected).
Short.

I tested iginition switch and it works (open/closed) it is only a one wire connection. Seems something must be a miss because if this switch is suppose to short magneto to ground to kill engine and it already is a short when measured from the mag post to tractor frame then do I have a bad mag or what can my problem be. Thanks for any help you can give me.
The magneto ignition switch is a kill switch, provides a path to ground to kill/ground out the magnet.

Below a previous post on the topic.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72705&p=584995&hilit=magneto+wiring#p584995

Edit. In the run position the ignition switch is open, not path to ground out the magneto.
I have an excuse. CRS.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:27 pm

To troubleshoot your switch simply remove the ground wire from the magneto and see if it produces a spark from the coil wire.

Remember if you try to start the engine and it does start, you will have to ground the terminal to kill the engine or stall the engine in a safe manor.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

firetech
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby firetech » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:32 pm

If the magneto is already grounded internally like stated in previous post how does the kill switch work? I thought the kill switch was grounding the framework to the magneto hence killing engine.

firetech
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby firetech » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:35 pm

lazyuniondriver wrote:To troubleshoot your switch simply remove the ground wire from the magneto and see if it produces a spark from the coil wire.

Remember if you try to start the engine and it does start, you will have to ground the terminal to kill the engine or stall the engine in a safe manor.

Can u explain further? I tested switch by itself and it is working fine (open and closes). but how exaclty do I test for that spark? Do I just pull any coil wire off?

firetech
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby firetech » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:51 pm

I retested the resistance of the lead comming from the magneto to the ignition switch and it is grounded the frame of the cub. Is that not exactly what the kill switch does - ground the magneto post to the frame work to kill engine? Any ideas as to what I can do now?

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Pull the high tension lead from the center of the distributor cap. With the switch wire removed from the mag, hold the high tension lead near the block and crank it over. Look for a crisp blue spark at a consistent rate.

Wear gloves or use an insulated tool to hold the high tension lead.

firetech
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby firetech » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:07 pm

thanks lazyuniondriver I will try that. Going to be little tricky as I blew the starter during this whole process - guess the hand crank will have to do.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:09 pm

firetech wrote: Is that not exactly what the kill switch does - ground the magneto post to the frame work to kill engine?

Yes that is exactly what it does. The wire that connects to the magneto runs directly to the push pull kill switch. If the switch only has one tab, it is internally grounded. Pushing the switch in completes the circuit grounding the magneto killing the spark.

If the switch has 2 tabs, the other tab should have a wire running to a bolt or screw grounding it to the tractor frame. This switch is not correct for magneto tractors and works in opposite fashion, pull to stop, in to run.

If you have a crisp spark from the mag each and time it clicks while you crank, we'll pick it up from there.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:10 pm

I actually prefer to hand crank during this step of the troubleshooting process.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:36 pm

Do NOT "click" that mag over without somewhere for the spark to go. That will burn up the internal coil, which is pricey.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

firetech
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby firetech » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:42 pm

How far away should I hold this wire to the block for this to work? Is there a foolproof way to accomplish this test so as not to do any more damage? Sorry for so many questions but I have never done this before. I never had trouble with my cub before and it has always been good to me so all this a bummer for me. thanks for all your help.!!!

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Hold it about quarter inch from the block or filter can. If the magneto is producing spark, it will jump that gap.

firetech
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby firetech » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:05 pm

update......

well I just tested the mag and I did get a nice blue arc to the oil canister with every crank. I did have the ignition wire disconnected from the mag housing during the test. So now whats my next step? I still for the life of me cannot get my cub started!!!! I did clean my carb prior to all this cuz felt that might be my problem everything seemed in order but I am getting what looks like gas spilling from carb when trying to start it. I am not even getting a hard start - where it seems like it wants to start but doesn't. Also my cub has been exposed to rain for couple days while at camp. What am I missing?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Well for starters:

firetech wrote:Also my cub has been exposed to rain for couple days while at camp.

Condensation in the carb is a good way to provide a no start situation. Plugs don't fire too well on water.

firetech wrote:I am getting what looks like gas spilling from carb when trying to start it.

Flooding it. Let it dry out a bit.

Check for condensation - sometimes visible on the side of the carb. Usually it is apparent when you take the carb apart. A whitish deposit will be present in the bowl indicating that water has sat in it for a bit (provided it was long enough). Yeah, been through this with Ellie this year. She sat for 6 months before I could get to her.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”