This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The French Connection

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: The French Connection

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:05 am

I see Boss Hog has posted.

Congratulations on obtaining the Cub. To answer some of your questions. Specifically I do not know if there were any ignition timing differences or part differences for French Cubs than the USA version. For USA made Cubs.

1) Remove the distributor cap, unsnap the two spring clips. Remove the rotor, pull straight out. The circular black disk, just pull straight out to access the points and condensor.

4) Point gap: .020 inch. You can convert to metric. Doesn't have to be exactly .020 inch, so closest metric feeler gauge number will suffice.

5) Engine oil, gear lubricant. Most folks recommend using the same engine oil and lubricants as your vehicles. Hydraulic oil should be Hy Tran compatible or as recommended in the French Operator's manual.

Very important. Prime the engine oil pump before engine start up as Yogie suggested. I suggest conducting a compression test before trying to start engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

yaume
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby yaume » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:32 am

congrats for the purchase,and for the length of the trip.

two words of caution :
be aware that french super cub electrical component are not the same as US bult ones.
Distributor is Ducelier, not Delco. point and condenser are not interchangeable. they can be found here : http://www.laboutiquedutracteur.com/fr/ ... ur-rb.html
such as cap, finger, and so on. don't forget to pour a drop of thin oil on the "sponge" that pressed on the ditributor cam. it wears quikly if not done regulary.
starter, generator, régulator are french brand too. spares are hard to find.

Bye
what makes my cub very rare is that it's the only one I've ever owned.

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:39 am

Keep it 12 volts. Then you can run a sprayer, winch, Johnny Bucket or other electrical attachments if you want.

Todd

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 am

If this is the part you are trying to remove:
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/322fp.htm
Eugene is right:
Eugene wrote:1) Remove the distributor cap, unsnap the two spring clips. Remove the rotor, pull straight out. The circular black disk, just pull straight out to access the points and condensor.

Be aware, that breaker cover is only held in with friction, and over the years, dirt, rust, etc, cause it to be stuck pretty well. Be very careful trying to pull it out with those tabs...they break of easily, making it even harder to get it out! BTDT (been there, done that!) Once it is out, you can clean the inside area there to make it easier to get in and out.

Good luck with your "new" family member and have fun!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:56 am

Since nobody seems to be reading what yaume said, I will repeat it. The French electrical components are different than the US parts. Any directions pertaining to the IH distributor may not apply. Follow the links as Boss Hog provided and read the manual for the FRENCH Cub.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:27 pm

I am going to echo both Jim and Yaume. The French Cubs are different - bound to be, as some of the parts were sourced locally. For those who are curious about the French Cub (FF Cub) and the Super Cub then I would recommend that you purchase this book: Tracteurs Farmall Cub et derives 1947-1979 Jean Noulin

Even though the book is in French, it is kinda easy to understand. If you studied French in school at all it should help you rebuild that skill as well. I have that particular book and highly recommend it as a must have for any serious Cub addict :D This one is fairly expensive at EUR 60.00 but you can usually find them for around EUR 25.00
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

AndyMac
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: GU52

Postby AndyMac » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:56 am

Thanks to all for some great feedback.

New electrical components (hopefully the correct ones) ordered from La Boutique de Tracteur in Toulouse - merci beaucoup Yaume! They don't stock plug leads but presumably these are standard and can be obtained from a good motor factors here in the UK.

Buddy Brian has already rebuilt the Solex carb and gradually working his way through the essentials before priming the oil pump, compresssion test and turning her over.

Will let you know how things go!

PS You folks might like to know that a battered 1950's Series 1 Land Rover built for Winston Churchill came up for auction two weeks ago at a big farm equipment auction in Cambridge UK. Pre-auction estimate was £50-60,000. On the day she sold for £129,000 plus buyers premium plus tax - which is hovering around £136,000 total or an impressive 220,000 bucks. She last sold at auction in 1973 for £160. The buyer sold it to his neighbour the same day for £320. Better than in the bank!

AndyMac
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: GU52

Postby AndyMac » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Can you please advise what the compression should read on the Cub engine? Thanks Andy

Return to “Farmall Cub”