This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sandblasting the hood

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Sandblasting the hood

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Been working on a cub that belongs to the local Lions Cub as I get time and feel like it. Yesterday I decided to sand blast the hood Cubguy47 had provide to replace theirs which was in pretty bad shape. I have one of the cheap Harbor Freight pressurized sand blasters, which works good but uses a lot of air. I have a stationary air compressor the delivers 10.7cfm at 90psi, and a portable that delivers 5.5 at 90 psi, and have my airlines set up so I can run both of them when I am sandblasting. Even with that, they do not quite keep up with the blaster, but do come close. I got out all my rigging, the blaster, a poncho, respirator, hood, gloves, etc. and fired up. After about 20seconds my air pressure was too low to blast, so I stopped and checked the gauge on blaster and on both compressor tanks. All checked ok, so I started again, and got the same results. When I looked at all the gauges all was ok, so I concluded that for some reason I had a restriction in an airline, and the blaster which is a pressurized tank type would fill with air, but would was not receiving air fast enough to maintain pressure. I use a 25 foot hose to feed a 50 foot reel mounted on one wall. It was close enough that I could bypass it with a single 25 foot hose, so I got out the extra hose to run it out to the blaster. When I started to connect the hose I realized I had not opened the valve to feed air from the big compressor into the line. :x Opened the valve and all was well.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sandblasting the hood

Postby Yogie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:30 pm

Looks great John, now will you paint it with a sandable primer to help fill the rough texture after blasting ?

I did a little over half of a 54 blade and a couple front rims tonight after work, that yellow paint on the blade seems to be about 1/16" thick. :roll:
A little paint stripper helped the job go easier.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:26 pm

This is a working tractor, not a show rig, and it will probably get a coat of Vansickle primer followed by IH 2150 after it dries. The hood needs a little minor repair before it is primed though.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:35 am

John,

Where are you getting your sand at?

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:37 am

looking good John 8)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:05 am

JackF wrote:John,

Where are you getting your sand at?
Local lumber yard. I use the fine silica (white) sand,since it does not clump if it gets damp, etc. Using silica sand you definitely need a good cartridge type respirator not just one of the little dust masks, silica dust is a carcinogen.

Return to “Farmall Cub”