This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

final drive

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
deadon115
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16441

final drive

Postby deadon115 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:37 am

hello all. I am new to this site.
My final drives have broken implement bolt holes , Can they be repaired or do I have to buy the whole final drive unit.
Thanks ,Dave.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: final drive

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:06 am

Dave:

Well yes and no. We need to know exactly what the damage is. If the implement mounting holes are simply wallowed out then yes they can be helicoiled. My '48 has the left rear final with two helicoiled mounting holes. My '47 has a chipped out boss and that will have to be brazed/welded. I have a couple of extra finals and one set of them are busted. Brazing/welding is an option but it is a last ditch/nice project to learn on option.

Pictures of your final would be useful. If the damage is to great then it would be probably cheaper and easier to acquire a replacement final. You can contact our site sponsors at the links on the bottom of each page. You can also post a want in the Wanted Cub Items forum and some of our members will probably be able to supply your needs. A last resort is :eBay: and Craigslist.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

The manual server is down at the moment, but we hope the power will return shortly. You can also access manuals at the links at the top of the page.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:05 pm

Dave, If the holes are too big for helicoils, there is a solid insert (EZ sert is one brand name) that can also be used. Depending on what implements you want to attach to the holes, you might be able to reverse the finals to get good holes in the back (if that is where you need them).

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

deadon115
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16441

Postby deadon115 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:23 am

Thanks rudi and bob, Right now I am just using the tractor to pull out logs from the woods. the bosses are chiped off, the only thing holding the draw bar on is the other two bolts. I feel much better now knowing that they can be repaired. I was thinking of grinding off the boss and welding a nut in its place.or would it be better to put a EZ sert or a helicoil in it ? and can all 3 be done without removing the final drive from the tractor.
thanks again .
Dave

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:13 am

If they are cheeped off you need to replace the final , just the housing are not that expensive
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 am

Unless you have experience welding cast iron, I'd second what Boss said.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:45 pm

deadon115 wrote:the bosses are chiped off, the only thing holding the draw bar on is the other two bolts. I

As Boss said, replace em it is cheaper and easier. As I mentioned brazing/welding is a last ditch option.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”