Generator

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Generator

Postby mrdibs » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:56 am

Now that she's running again, I need to attend to the lesser issues. First up is the generator. Ammeter shows discharge with the lights on, so I know the meter is good. Wiring is all new and all was working perfectly when I first put it all back together. The generator had good brushes etc when I took it apart to paint, but I admit it's probably original equipment.

So - how do I isolate the problem to either A - the voltage regulator, or B - the generator? Is there a good way to bench test them?

Next. I have the sickle bar attached and functional, but I'm certain it's missing some peices and parts. Does anyone have close-ups of a complete working sicklebar, or parts manual with diagrams? It also has a couple of busted blades and one busted tooth. Blades look rivited, so how do I replace?
mrdibs
Cub Star
Cub Star

Zip Code: 19520
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
2007 Cub Cadet

Re: Generator

Postby tst » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:17 am

Generator issue first,did you polarize the regulator?, if so ground the field terminal on the generator while running, if it charges the generator is working
here is a link to sickle bar pics http://www.tm-tractor.com/gim/cub22_001.htm
Tim
tst
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:29 am

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... Mowers.htm

Pages 9-11 discuss cutting bar maintenance. There might be someone close to you that has a Johnson Sickle Servicer. It facilitates both removal of blades and also sets the rivets. If you just have a few to do, you can do them as shown in the link.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein
Bob McCarty
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 80501
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:43 am

Since you painted, make sure you have good grounds on the regulator mount and on the generator. Here is a link to Farmall
bob's trouble shooting chart for generators with regulators.
http://s101.beta.photobucket.com/user/f ... sort=4&o=6
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby mrdibs » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks guys! Sickle bar pics are perfect. I'm missing essentially all of the safety gear/guards and a few things are bent in ways they should not be.
mrdibs
Cub Star
Cub Star

Zip Code: 19520
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
2007 Cub Cadet

Return to Farmall Cub